pikeman

Feather Lite - Casting Problems

Hi all,

In the past I tried some of this stuff (feather lite) yet the results were pretty good I hade some issues with the bubbles on the surface, I was expecting a clear result but it seems there is a reaction between the components because the mixture expands a little bit (by far less than foam) which I think involves some heat resulting in air traped bubbles (don't know if this happens inside the body as well)

So for obtaining a shiny surface I am considering the following things:

- the room temperature, I don't remember if it was the one indicated in the tehnical buletin

- pressure casting - can someone help me on this...how it is done?

- vibrating table - I think maybe putting the mold on such a table may cause the bubbles to rise

Any other ideas might help, please feel free to share them

P.S. vodkaman hope you are still around :lolhuh:

Hi EdL,

For the mold I've used RTV silicone both one part mold (as in the "pipe" example from the tutorials) or two parts mold,

No release agent as I've seen that you don't need it for foam or urethane casting if you use silicon, probably after a while when the silicon gets old and the oily surface disappears you will need a release agent. Anyway haven't seen urethane remaining in the mold

doing some research I run intro aluminite, yet I was unable to find out its density from thir website or maybe I'm missing something from the tehnical buletin?

A few days ago while I was searching I saw a post from vodkaman saying that feather lite has microballoons in it , but still I want to find out the density of aluminite, can someone help?

Ha! yes, still here, I just don't post much though.

My first thought would be a low or mild vacuum, using your shop vac, assuming you have one. This is the cheapest solution and easy to set up something, so best to start there. This method works very well with PoP, but I do realise that your resin is thicker and may go off quicker, I don't know, but for a free solution it is worth at least one go.

Dave

Hi Dave , nice to see you are still around

I will do a prototype soon and will try to place it in a pipe or something like that, than use the vacuum, second alternatives are use a vibrant table to place the mold on, or pre-heat the mold to about 140 F (60C) just as a test.

@sallystrothers

If the moisture is the problem than there is no cure for that just to either buy another box or change the urethane...

found one pretty cheap in my town but the problem is it has a high density , about 62 lb/ft3 while in comparison, Basswood is between 20-37, and I don't know how much microballoons supports, although I want to use it for swimbaits