Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

@ Gene.........Now I'm wondering if it could be thinned with DA? :?

@Mark...........I've read about some of the pros doing the same thing to get the "shine" off the lure. Guess they never looked at one underwater after it was scuffed. :huh:

Ben

I think someone quoted an e-mail earlier that it could be microwaved to thin it. sounds like a great idea for a fumy substance doesn't it!

Here is a response I got to a request to try and get more of a gloss finish as opposed to the "satin" finish:

Hi Philip

That should help with the "dolphin-skin" effect but polyesters have styrene in them and it is volatile.

Microwaving might not be a good idea with " volatile" ingredients.

Ben

If you don't thin it, it really won't run. I did not put it on a turner, used a brush right out of the jar...smoothed it out. Put it under the light using the slow cure method...1 minute under the light, 1 minute off...total 3 minutes under the light. Came out much more glossy than curing 3 minutes straight. No sags. I like it!

Edited by Cougarftd

Once heated it seemed to me it stayed thin for awhile...only did it once but did not seem to gel or anything. I did not dip, I was going to attempt to spray with it . My best results so far are no heat, brush on, 2 light coats...slow cure

Edited by Cougarftd

I don't know how to post a photo to this thread. Here is a link to BassBoatCentral thread where I posted one using a 30 second on 30 second off curing cycle...10 cycles. It came out really clear and glossy:

http://www.bbcboards...ex-clear-2.html

(the photos are at the end of the thread!)

Edited by Cougarftd

It looks like the vinyl ester epoxy UV cure resin on their website could possibly work also. Product # 71590.

CLM

Yep,I ordered some of this a few days back, figured I should stay with resin I know a little about, I believe Devcon, AFC, E-Tex etc are all epoxie's and as we know they all have great gloss compared to any polyester resin.

Whatever we use here, the UV cure should be a real bonus, and as someone said, someone will figure out how to level, paint, spray and cure it to a gloss :?:?

Pete

I got mine in today to play with. I tried a reptile basking light (50w) from Petsmart, but it never cured. The bulb said it emits UVA. I haven't had a chance to try it in sunlight yet.

To make sure I'm doing this right, the website says either UV light or MEKP catalyst.

However, the container says to add 1% MEKP for the UV cure???

So are you guys adding MEKP then?

I got mine in today to play with. I tried a reptile basking light (50w) from Petsmart, but it never cured. The bulb said it emits UVA. I haven't had a chance to try it in sunlight yet.

To make sure I'm doing this right, the website says either UV light or MEKP catalyst.

However, the container says to add 1% MEKP for the UV cure???

So are you guys adding MEKP then?

NO, not adding anything but uv rays. Cured good in the sun, great under the light

What light are you using?

CLM

It is called "salon edge " purchased on eBay, it was around $20 (plus shipping). It is used for sculpted nails in beauty salons but is perfect for curing this stuff. Has a timer on it as well, 4 uv lamps and reflective material. Has about 21/2" of clearance.