Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

We did us a UV curing operation on our production baits. Ours was a UV epoxy that we dipped in, and hung the lure on a rotating conveyor that went in front of a rather strong uv curing lamp. The lure would dry in 5 seconds. We did have one bad experince with some bad epoxy. But other than that, worked for us. I think this stuff is a Polyester Gloss Resin. I haven't tried it. It might be great stuff.

There used to be a company that was called Hellnor......it was in California that delt with Uv cured coatings The only drawbacks were that the equipment and the coatings were expensive.....and I didnt think that the coating adhered to the bait all that well......

The uv light I am using was $20, the uv cure clear is $25 for a quart, I had to smack it pretty hard with a pair of pliers to get it to crack/chip. Normal fishing running against rocks it seemed to hold up well. Still need more time with it but early result looks good.

Well it seems to be ok to try out which I will. Now #1 how does it hold up in tackle boxes, any problem with contact to the trays, #2 plastic worms will they have a reaction to them, #3 will they have a reaction to each other in the tackle box in hot weather, #4 any reaction to plastic bags. The main reason I hope to like this product is speed and less waste, Etex is slow but I like it. I don't think the gloss is a factor with fish more of a thing with the fisherman, but its not the fish buying the lure just eating it.

A-Mac I believe that the reptile light emits mostly UVB light and that is why it did not cure

Yeah, I believe you are right. I accidently left the light on and it did cure a spot drop on the floor after ~45 minutes. The sun worked in about 10-12, but I am probably going to get a different light.

Well it seems to be ok to try out which I will. Now #1 how does it hold up in tackle boxes, any problem with contact to the trays, #2 plastic worms will they have a reaction to them, #3 will they have a reaction to each other in the tackle box in hot weather, #4 any reaction to plastic bags. The main reason I hope to like this product is speed and less waste, Etex is slow but I like it. I don't think the gloss is a factor with fish more of a thing with the fisherman, but its not the fish buying the lure just eating it.

I have had some in plastic plano box for a couple of weeks...seem fine. Multiple baits in contact with one another...fine.

Can't speak to hot weather (it has been 50's and 60's here since I have been messing with this stuff.

I tossed a couple of plastic tubes in with them when I saw your post (don't know what to expect with that.

Something else I found beneficial to Solarez. I used it instead of wood filler to fill the ballast hole, I dripped Solarez into it until level with the surrounding area. I placed in the sun for 10min, then used Solorez to cover the entire lure. It covered the surfaces perfectly and showed no evidence that a ballast hole was ever drilled. I'm starting to really like this stuff. I haven't had an entire lure cover as smooth as I would like yet, but I think a proper UV light would work better too.

Something else I found beneficial to Solarez. I used it instead of wood filler to fill the ballast hole, I dripped Solarez into it until level with the surrounding area. I placed in the sun for 10min, then used Solorez to cover the entire lure. It covered the surfaces perfectly and showed no evidence that a ballast hole was ever drilled. I'm starting to really like this stuff. I haven't had an entire lure cover as smooth as I would like yet, but I think a proper UV light would work better too.

I'm not sure about it's holding properties for filling or gluing. Reading comparison to epoxies it's not recommended for those uses.

I bought tanning lights and after 15 minutes or longer the stuff still wasn't cured up. I didn't try it outside though, probably because it was cold and very cloudy so maybe that would have worked. Unlike Lincoya I found the odor to be horrible, almost like opening up a can of gasoline in your shop. Maybe they have changed the formula since I tried it?

I love the idea of a UV cure coat and think this could be the future for lure builders but my first tests with this product were not very convincing.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

I bought tanning lights and after 15 minutes or longer the stuff still wasn't cured up. I didn't try it outside though, probably because it was cold and very cloudy so maybe that would have worked. Unlike Lincoya I found the odor to be horrible, almost like opening up a can of gasoline in your shop. Maybe they have changed the formula since I tried it?

I love the idea of a UV cure coat and think this could be the future for lure builders but my first tests with this product were not very convincing.

RM

Which one of the Solarez products are you using???? And you need UVA lights for the curing process to work.....not sure what you are using????

I'm not sure about it's holding properties for filling or gluing. Reading comparison to epoxies it's not recommended for those uses.

I still glue in the screw. I just clamp a split shot onto twisted wire for my ballast, drill a small pilot hole (for the threads to go in, which I glue) and a larger hole for the weight. But from what I can tell, that UV stuff is pretty stout and should still add more strength than what I was using before, which was just wood filler. I've tried pulling the ballast weight out with just wood filler (bait encapsulated with propionate pellets) and had to destroy the lure to get it out. If I was going after a larger toothier critter, I would still be doing through-wire.

Ordered myself a "salon edge" uv light, one of the few lure making investments that my girlfriend supported!

I'd like to find a focusing uv flashlight too. I borrowed a UV blacklight flashlight from my ornithology professor the other day, and it worked pretty well. He uses when looking at different colors in bird feathers (because birds (like grackles) have more colors than just the black we see). This did not have a focusing beam and I had to hold it pretty close to the resin. However, the one on the solarez website has the intensifying beam, which looks like it could come in handy too. I haven't talked myself into paying $40 bucks for one yet. Has anyone found a more affordable brand they like (with a focusing beam)?

I still have the light I used, I bought it at the recommendation of the Solarez guys........didn't work. I must have had the wrong spectrum. Can someone post some pics of lures they have finished with the solarez?

RM

http://www.bbcboards.net/rod-building-tackle-making/301960-photos-finish-using-solarex-clear-2.html

Pictures of baits I used it on in this thread

Edited by Cougarftd