Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

I have fished them a bit off the bank. Running along riprap banks and such. They held up well...same as other finishes. Does not affect lure performance at all.

I have not used on a wooden lure, I will be this weekend, I am painting some old lures fopr a buddy

Don't know the UV wave length...it is a uv light for curing nails for a nail salon...has 4 uv lights in it as well as reflective material. I can check the machine when I get home tonight and see if it has uv info on the machine.

I hope to get these out before winter sets in here to see if they will hold up in heavy fishing (and hopefully catching), i LIKE WHAT i SEE SO FAR.

A little off topic, but I found this on the website regarding thinning.

"Can I thin Solarez® ? answer | Hide

You may thin Solarez very simply by heating it in a paper cup for a few seconds in a microwave oven. (microwave ovens vary widely in strength so check your resin every 5 seconds to see that it doesn't’t get too hot --hotter than drinkable coffee 130°F). This Solarez cannot have any MEKP catalyst in it!!! At this temperature, Solarez will be as thin as water and can instantly wet out fiberglass cloth. As soon as you pour out your resin onto a cool substrate, it will return to normal viscosity. If on the other hand, you want to add a thinning agent, you can add a little styrene monomer. It is not advised to add any more than 3% because adding styrene will soften the surface and cause premature yellowing. The adding of acetone or alcohol should be entirely avoided because these are not reactive diluents i.e. they do not become incorporated into the resin like styrene, they just boil out and cause pinholes."

I got my Solarez yesterday and it arrived leaking inside and outside the bag the bag as others have posted. I sent an Email yesterday but no reply. I also ordered a UV flashlight http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Ultraviolet-LED-flashlight-7202UV395/dp/B001Q70A0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351907809&sr=8-2&keywords=uv+light and decided to try it a bit on a small tough-up job in a hinge area of a 2 piece swimbait. This is so much easier to use in these tight areas that normally get gummed up with the other topcoats because I could use a brush to cover the area and slowly move the joint while the UV light setup the Solarez. In the past I needed to use a pick to try to scrape off the cured topcoat and would many times poke through it into the wood or chip off a piece and cause a leak. I also use small pins to hold on the rubber tails and then need to seal over the pin head, once again this works great in this application. I also bought a weinnie so no more wood putty for me on wood touch up. I can use this on my wood and poured resin swimbaits.

This should work great as a topcoat and I will need to finish a complete swimbait to see. It's definately easier and faster to use but it has a strong and potent smell, my previous topcoat was almost odorless. I can deal with that though.

I received a small tube of Solarez "thin hard coat" and slapped it on a couple of baits. If this is durable this could be the best yet (a bit pricey though at about $20 for 2 oz. No waste and cures in 2 minutes. Here is what it looks like

Good looking lures. And yeah, they do look better, but way out of my price range. I wonder if microwaving the gloss for a few seconds will produce similar results... or perhaps hitting it with a heat gun (on low). I wonder why the "thin" is so much more expensive?

Cougarftd,

How many coats of the regular solarez are you putting on each lure? What kind of thickness do you get out of one coat? Maybe a 1/16" or 1/32"? I just got a 4 oz bottle today. I ordered the low odor formula and thought I would give that a try. I build pike and musky lures so I am curious how it will hold up to their teeth!! Live in MN so weather is getting colder, hunting is going on and hard water will be here soon. Do know if I will have time this year to try it out on the water. Might have to make an ice fishing jig for pike and put some solarez on it.

CLM

I sanded them lightly between coats...just to scuff them up a bit...here is one with 2 coats

Good looking clear, and awesome paint job!

Are you letting the lures drip for a few minutes, or rotating them before uv? I've been getting a couple sagging spots, but it seems they are forming during the 2min uv exposure. As for my current methodology, I am testing these on my resin cast lures as a prep step before painting and am wiping them down with acetone before brushing the solarez on.

QuickDraw ,

Give them a call..They sent me another quart right out ...Nathan

They never replied to my Email but then I got tracking info so I bet that is the replacement order.

Quickdraw, are you using the low order formula?

I ordered right off of the link on the 1st page but there is no way that this is a low odor formula.

I cure mine while on a lure turner which allows them to level 100% all the time and it also allows the baits to be cured an even 360 degrees. You do not have to sand between coats.

I always put my lures on a lure turner and apply the finish as they turn. With this finish I'll put my UV light on 1 side at a time so they will slow cure and maybe get a more clear finish, I hope. Once they are somewhat set I'm move the turner into the sunlight and let them spin for 10-15 minutes which should finish them off.

I just wonder how they will hold up to 7" and bigger sizes like musky baits. They seem like they will be a little thin coated for those toothy creatures. I could see how it will be great for bass lures.

All of my swimbaits are in the 9" to 14" range. Big Stripers aren't very toothy but they definately abuse their prey. I would think that several thin coats would be stronger and more durable in any case.

Edited by quickdraw