Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

I tried the casting made by Solarez. It has a gloss finish, comparable to D2T, but it has a slightly wavy finish. I think I applied it too thick (brushed on), so when I try it again, less may be better. It may also need the turner for a minute or two. I tried to airbrush it on, and that was a near disaster. I did not have a big enough tip and it would not shoot, even after heating. The disaster was the clean up. First was denatured alcohol, it clumped up big time. Next was zylene, same same, so I went back to the alcohol route. It took more than a little effort to get it out of the gun. There has got to be a better way for clean up, I'm just not sure what it is.

The lights you have to use are...UVA.... The Solarez that you need to be using is Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin . You can brush it on ...or dip it....i woundn't try spraying it.....

The finger nail dryer that is being use work great and they are cheap....a good one is about 30 bucks shipped. It takes about 3 minutes to dry. I just do 30 seconds on 30 seconds off flip it every other time. It is cured after about 3 minutes. Click on this link.... 36w Curing Nail Dryer UV Lamp Light Salon Spa Acrylic Gel Shellac 36 Watt Black | eBay

I hope this helps....maybe cougar will chime in...He has use it and has good results.

OH....Some UVA don't work because they are not strong enough...like the ones for snakes or other animals.

Edited by Brent R

I have posted this before but I will post again. When you guys are ready to build a light box go to http://www.tanninglamps4less.com/uvcuring.html  For guys just doing a handfull of baits at a time this will not be practical but for those that do a bit more it is the only way to go.  It cost me roughly $250 to build a box but I should be able to get 30,000 baits cured before changing the bulbs, I don't plan on changing the bulbs anytime soon.  If you have any questions about building a box there is a # on the website I provided and they will answer all your questions.  I use to shy away from large orders because of the cure time involved now I don't even paint until I have at least a 100 baits to do.  Solarez and a curing  box have turned the most time consuming process of painting cranks into one of the quickest processes.  The box also comes in handy for me when I am coating a large quantity of spinnerbait heads, in-line spinner bodies, ect.  Plus anything that you put varnish on you can now use Solarez, as long as it fits in the box it works.  I just did a bunch of picture frames and it was much quicker and cheaper than using varnish.  Hope this helps.

Well I tried out my Solarez Gloss Resin.  There will be some learning curves with it just like anything else.  My first coat I brushed too much on and it sagged alittle before it cured.  Brushing on less (a thin coat) should work better.  I ended up putting on two more coats and it went better.  It didn't completely cover my sagging issue from the first coat.  I put gold glitter in the resin and mixed it up for the first coat.  After two more coats it covered the glitter and my flat eyes just fine.  It doesn't have as nice of a gloss finish to it as etex does.  I think it is from the wax rising to the surface during curing that gives it more of a dull finish.  I tried the 30 second light on light off idea.  I wonder if you could use a rubbing/polishing compound to give it more of a shine?  I don't think the fish will mind either way!!  I am using a GE 18" (F15T8) black light and it cures the resin in 3 minutes.  The resin does have a smell to it.  It reminds me of being back in plastics class in high school.  I think DN has a stronger smell than this stuff.  The 2" ice fishing jig below has the Solarez on it.  I didn't put enough ballast inside it so it floats.  :cry:   I will have to add an external weight to it if I want to fish it.  Probably to the treble.  I like what I see so far with this stuff but the real test will be how it holds up to musky teeth!!

CLM

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

post-24287-0-40160900-1355878252_thumb.jpg

Boy this stuff seems promising.  I tried some yesterday for the first time.  Painted one coat on some crankbaits with a flux brush.  Brushed it on with a fairly light coat, just enough to cover it and hung it in the sun at 2:00 PM.  I don't think it took more than a couple of minutes and it way dry to the touch.  It did have some visible brush marks, but the brush I used was a bit coarse.  It drys so fast, it doesnt have a chance to run, level, settle or whatever.  So I guess another coat with a fine haired brush should do.  Just for grins i painted the excess on the brush onto a piece of cardboard and held it in the direct sun.  You could see it dry before your eyes and could touch it in less than a minute.

The finish looks clear enough for me and the fish I know, but i'm sure in time we'll figure out how to make them clear enough for the tackle junkies.

Anyone dipping their baits and hanging them in the sun?

Are you sure a black light will work?????

The one I am using is working just fine.  The only problem I am having is I am getting some minor brush marks in the resin when it cures.  I might be applying too thin of a coat???  I am still messing with the curing process to get a a glossier finish.

CLM

Well I contacted solarez and was told some info. According to them, the nail dryers will not work. Apparently only the flashlight they sell will do the job! They order them straight from Hong Kong and emit 385 nm, of uv light. They didn't even know if my order was shipped yet, apparently they were out and are mixing up a new batch!

I just ordered some solarez.  Any recommendations on a Light that will fit an 11" bait?

I'm afraid the nail lights will be too small.

Thank you

GE 18" (F15T8) black light......one of the members here turned me on to this one.....He says it works fine. I haven' t bought one yet.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Brent R" data-cid="195461" data-time="1356996119"><p>

GE 18" (F15T8) black light......one of the members here turned me on to this one.....He says it works fine. I haven' t bought one yet.</p></blockquote>where can you get that bulb?