Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

High All, I find this thread interesting.  A friend of mine posted on a different site that he is trying something like this so I got really interested.  I knew about the surf board curing by UV  from TV ("How it's made"), and I knew that some musical instrumants were done with this stuff, but I had never even considered using it for lures.  I guess that has changed now. :mad:

OK, I have seen that the nail dryers using UV seem to be well received and work well.  I suspect that is what I will be using.  For the record, they operate with a peak at 370 nm based on my research.  Solarez tells me that they suggest 385 nm.  Nevertheless, they also suggest a link to a tanning bed light company that I contacted.  They told me that their bulbs are broad spectrum and have three peaks, all well below this suggested 385 mn range.  Are we confused yet, because I am. :eek:

The Philips TUV15W G15T8 mentioned by some is a UVC with a peak at 253.7 nm, very far into the UVC range.

The 51 LED flashlight mentioned by some peaks at 395 nm (http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Ultraviolet-LED-flashlight-7202UV395/dp/B001Q70A0G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1)

At least one inspection UV light is (http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Inspection-Flashlight-380-385nm-Ultraviolet/dp/B0013E3XVU/ref=pd_cp_hi_1) rated at the 380 to 385 nm range.

http://www.tanninglamps4less.com/uvcuring.html is a great link, previously given to us in this thread, and I want to point out that they suggest lamps called Clear Tech which have a 360 to 380 nm range.

If we are not yet confused enough, consider that the wave length is not all we need to consider.  We also need to consider the intensity of light.  This is a factor of the wattage, the focus, and the distance away from the light source.  In summary, it takes the right frequency and the right strength.

The friend I mentioned at the first of this said he is using four each 60 watt bulbs, 4' long, but he is not yet telling me what bulbs he is trying or what the product he is trying - just that it worked quick and he could have been fishing the lure from the start of the lure pour to final top coat cure in 5 minutes. :censored: I will find out some day. :?

I have found out that grow lights have little to no UV light.  I would be supprised if they work at all.  I have also found out that the reptile lights have little UV, and mostly it is UVA.  It might work, but it will take a lot of time. 

It looks to me like once we figure this out we will be starting a whole new wave of lure development.  I am excited about it: I just wish I could afford to try them all.  But................

AM I CORRECT IS SAYING that everyone has had luck with the nail UV dryers?

AM I CORRECT IS SAYING that everyone has had good luck with the Clear Tech lights?

What are the final results of using the different flashlights or the GE UVA bulb?

If you go to page 12 of this thread i posted to different lights .....one is a nail dryer and the other is a black light....

I have use the nail dryer and it works great.....i don't care what solarez told you...and i'm not the only one using one....

The black light is being used by another member and he told me it's working great....

Bass100 is using the tanning lights and does a bunch of lures at one time...said it works great.....

If i where solarez and sold lights i would want you to buy from me....just saying.....

Read all the posted in this thread and make up your on mind...i guess that's the only way for you to find out for yourself.....

Edited by Brent R

OK, one more thing please.

Solarez appears to be a great company, but they are not the only one out there.  I have contacted a company called Deco-Coat about one of their products called 60-7180.  I am still waiting for the cure frequencies as well as the price, but .......

OK, now the Solarez products.

ZEROVOC UV Resin does not mention that it cures to a bone dry finish.  Polyester Gloss Resin does not say it is Low oder or zero VOC.  Clearly the two are different.

So, are we talking about using the Polyester Gloss and tolerating a little smell until it cures are are we talking about using the Zerovoc?

.....................If i where solarez and sold lights i would want you to buy from me....just saying.........

Point well taken, but the tanning lights they link to are not made by them.  I agree, the flashlight and the screw in lamp light they sell sure sends up red flags.

I agree that some have had luck with the other lights, but I also read that some have had troubles as well.  I am just trying to figure out a pattern after 13 full pages. :yay:

Point well taken, but the tanning lights they link to are not made by them.  I agree, the flashlight and the screw in lamp light they sell sure sends up red flags.

I agree that some have had luck with the other lights, but I also read that some have had troubles as well.  I am just trying to figure out a pattern after 13 full pages. :yay:

This is the product we are using......Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin....i do NOT know about any other of there products....or any products like it..

Some of the people that have had problems was NOT using this product....But it is POSSIBLE  to get a bad batch just like any other clear coat product..... And some people that have tried it did not use the right light source...You have to use a UVA light and the ones that i mentioned before i know work. It only takes 3 minutes to cure rock hard with the nail dryer that i mentioned....

Bass100....has used this product for a while now with good results..And he turned all of us on to Solarez....  He also uses the tanning bed lights and if i remember right he said the light box he built cost him about 250 dollars to build... He built it next to his lure turner so that when he turned the turner on the lures would go in and out of the light so it would slow cure and have more gloss...You might want to talk to him about that.....

All i can say is i really like the product and will keep using it....and as for as i'm concern i wouldn't buy any lights from solarez...

Good luck on you venture....

Brent

Ok guys, as far as the durability is for bass lures it is really no different than D2T.  I find that the 2 are comparable in hardness and how much they will get scratched up.  The main advantages are the cure time, the ability to coat as many lures as you want at a time, the consistency of the cure, and the price of the product.

Yes, I use Clear Tech lights in my light box.  All of Solarez's lights are not viable for crankbaits (they do not cover enough square inches and they do not last long)  You can get a 5' long Clear Tech bulb cheaper than one of Solarez's little lights and it will last much much longer.  Remeber guys heat is the killer for your UV bulbs.  The lights will still be bright but you will notice that it is taking longer to cure your lures, that means it is time to change your bulbs.  Everytime you cure a batch of baits or just one bait make sure you let your bulbs cool down before you cure another batch and it will keep your lights going for a while.  This is the only system that works great for us guys in the north.

Anglinarcher, there is no big pattern to figure out, it is very easy to use.  There have been many that have tried Solarez's other products but they didn't work for crankbaits.  So just stick with what works and you will be fine.

Those of you guys using a nail dryer, have you tried taking the dryer apart and using the lights to make a miny light box.  It would allow you to hang a full length lure upright without any chance of touching the bait.   Use the insulation board from Lowe's that has the aluminum foil on both sides of it.  You can get a 4' X 8' sheet for under $10 and it is designed to hold up against the heat of the lights.  One board would probably make 4 miny light boxes.

My responses will be delayed guys as I usually only check the forum once a week.

I'm no expert on Solarez or UV lights, and just a hobby builder.

But I have found, using the Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin and the 4 bulb nail curing UV light I can coat a crank bait in five minutes, from dip to handling and putting on hooks.

The resin has a slight odor that reminds me of when I surfed, in another life.

The nail light, turned so it is vertical with the opening facing up and the controls on the bottom, is plenty big enough for cranbaits with bodies up to 5" long.  I use paper clip wire to suspend the cranks vertically in the nail light box, and lift and turn them every 30 seconds,+-, for three minutes, and they are done.

Hard, clean, clear, and glossy.

If I can shake this head cold, and the weather warms a little, I am going to make some 5" sectional swimbaits this week, and am thinking now about how I am going to suspend the sections in the light box to cure.

Fun to think about.

This stuff is great for bass lures.

Thanks Brent.  I don't mind a little smell myself, so the Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin will be on my shopping list.  It is sure a lot cheaper then other stuff I have used. 

Please forgive the questions I asked, I did not mean to offend you.  It is simply a matter of the Phillps light being totally NOT UVA, but the Nail Lights ARE UVA.  Further research has shown that the Clear Tech lights, well to quote the Tanning site; "They are particularly strong in the following ranges: 285nm to 287nm, 310nm to 315nm and 360nm to 370nm. They are not narrowband, as they produce more than a single spectrum, but they cost about 90% less than a narrowband lamp and usually provide similar results."  I suspect that I will be using the nail light until I increase my production levels.  At that time I will probably make a cure box using the Clear Tech lights.

Bass 100, thanks for the information.  Are you the one that the TanningLamps4Less.com web site refered to when they said "A person in the midwest purchased two F59 ClearTech 20 lamps and is powering them with an off the shelf 80W ballast. He makes hand crafted fishing lures that require UV to cure, and this configuration cures them in a minute or two. He runs the two lamps length-wise and can sure about 10 lures at a time, being suspended from above, with the lures hanging inbetween the two lamps"? 

It really does not matter, your information has been very useful.  Thanks for the tips on the heat impacting the UV lights.  UV lights don't work well below 70 deg. F and they are damaged at 115 deg. F, as measured within two cm of the bulb (at least for the UV disinfection systems I have worked with before).  If we follow your instructions about cooling the bulbs down they should last for a long long time.

Mark, hope you get over your head cold soon.  Bass 100 suggested making a mini box by using the foam with the metal reflector on it.  ("Those of you guys using a nail dryer, have you tried taking the dryer apart and using the lights to make a miny light box. It would allow you to hang a full length lure upright without any chance of touching the bait. Use the insulation board from Lowe's that has the aluminum foil on both sides of it. You can get a 4' X 8' sheet for under $10 and it is designed to hold up against the heat of the lights.")  I can see a possibility that this would give you an extra couple of inches on both ends, taking your effective cure zone from 5" long to maybe 9" long.  Just thinking.

You guys have been great, I appreciate your help and I look forward to updates as they come in.

Thanks Brent.  I don't mind a little smell myself, so the Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin will be on my shopping list.  It is sure a lot cheaper then other stuff I have used. 

Please forgive the questions I asked, I did not mean to offend you.  It is simply a matter of the Phillps light being totally NOT UVA, but the Nail Lights ARE UVA.  Further research has shown that the Clear Tech lights, well to quote the Tanning site; "They are particularly strong in the following ranges: 285nm to 287nm, 310nm to 315nm and 360nm to 370nm. They are not narrowband, as they produce more than a single spectrum, but they cost about 90% less than a narrowband lamp and usually provide similar results."  I suspect that I will be using the nail light until I increase my production levels.  At that time I will probably make a cure box using the Clear Tech lights.

Bass 100, thanks for the information.  Are you the one that the TanningLamps4Less.com web site refered to when they said "A person in the midwest purchased two F59 ClearTech 20 lamps and is powering them with an off the shelf 80W ballast. He makes hand crafted fishing lures that require UV to cure, and this configuration cures them in a minute or two. He runs the two lamps length-wise and can sure about 10 lures at a time, being suspended from above, with the lures hanging inbetween the two lamps"? 

It really does not matter, your information has been very useful.  Thanks for the tips on the heat impacting the UV lights.  UV lights don't work well below 70 deg. F and they are damaged at 115 deg. F, as measured within two cm of the bulb (at least for the UV disinfection systems I have worked with before).  If we follow your instructions about cooling the bulbs down they should last for a long long time.

Mark, hope you get over your head cold soon.  Bass 100 suggested making a mini box by using the foam with the metal reflector on it.  ("Those of you guys using a nail dryer, have you tried taking the dryer apart and using the lights to make a miny light box. It would allow you to hang a full length lure upright without any chance of touching the bait. Use the insulation board from Lowe's that has the aluminum foil on both sides of it. You can get a 4' X 8' sheet for under $10 and it is designed to hold up against the heat of the lights.")  I can see a possibility that this would give you an extra couple of inches on both ends, taking your effective cure zone from 5" long to maybe 9" long.  Just thinking.

You guys have been great, I appreciate your help and I look forward to updates as they come in.

You have not offend me at all. I just hope i've helped in some way. To me that's what this site is all about...helping each other when we can....There's a great bunch of guy's on this site that are always trying to help when they can...

If you use one of these bulbs you want have to take a nail dryer about....the bulb is about 9 dollars at walmart and the fixtures are cheap..

GE 18" (F15T8) black light.... it's 18 inches long so it will cure any size bait....

I wish you luck

Brent

Sounds like an opportunity.  Or can read 13 pages of info and photos.  I'm still thinking about using this stuff as I've already invested in E-tex and 30-min clear epoxy and want to use it up. Hate to waste something that already works for me.  I can see where production guys would like something quicker but I'm retired and build for myself.  Wife leaves me alone when I'm building so epoxy is the "best" product for me.

Ben - I looked at 24 hour epoxy but found that pushed the wife's button too much. But 3 hr. would work.

I also tried automotive paint and clean on a few fishing rods. Next thing I found out with this finish she wanted me to repaint her car. :wink:  That stopped me from auto clear.

Edited by EdL

I also tried automotive paint and clean on a few fishing rods. Next thing I found out with this finish she wanted me to repaint her car. :wink:  That stopped me from auto clear.

Too bad, a car painted in "Red Crawdad" or "Table Rock Shad" pattern would be an eye catcher!

I havent posted on this website in a long, long time. During an internet search on Solarex it brought me here and I just want to say thanks to all of you who have done the research and were nice enough to post your results. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on this stuff.

Oh, and I haven't seen it mentioned but the lamps used for curing WILL give you sunburn and are VERY damaging to your eyes as well as skin. Use proper protection, please.

Sorry, just wanted to post a warning. 

I did some research and I wanted to point out that the reference to a GE 18' (F15T8) bulb is only part of the equation.  This means it is a bulb made by GE, it is 18" long, it is 15 watts and uses a two pin fixture, and it takes T8 bulbs.  Unfortunately, there are more then one bulb that fit this description.  There are CW or cool white bulbs that fit this.  There are SW or soft white bulbs for this.

I believe you need to make sure you use the Black Light version of this, but check with biggamefish or Bass100 or others that have suggested this for confirmation.  I am still undeceided at this time, but if it works, I can see a pretty good cure box being made with them.