Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

What a fantastic thread, kudos to all you guys for all the questions, testing and reporting of results, equipment, procedures and all the rest of it. I really don’t have anything to add, I just wanted to congratulate you all on this exciting advance in lure technology.

I am unlikely to ever get my hands on this product, but I know a local firm does sell a UV product, so I am now enthused enough to give it a try. It will have to wait a couple of months though, until cash flow
problems are solved.

I will probably use my electronics experience and go the UV LED route, with a specifically designed lure rotator.

Dave

So, just to mess with everyone... Did you know Alumilite and Larry Dahlberg have their own UV cure epoxy coming out?

What a fantastic thread, kudos to all you guys for all the questions, testing and reporting of results, equipment, procedures and all the rest of it. I really don’t have anything to add, I just wanted to congratulate you all on this exciting advance in lure technology.

I am unlikely to ever get my hands on this product, but I know a local firm does sell a UV product, so I am now enthused enough to give it a try. It will have to wait a couple of months though, until cash flow
problems are solved.

I will probably use my electronics experience and go the UV LED route, with a specifically designed lure rotator.

Dave

I built a box and mounted fluorescent style black lights on each side and put mirrors on the bottom and over the top. I had been using a single UV light with mirrors but think this set up will work nicely.

Mad Moose - Thanks. It is all down to availability. I know I can get my hands on the LED's, I haven't searched for black light tubes yet. I already have a light set up, so it will be a simple test to see if the frequency is right. I suspect not though, as the light is white rather than purple, worth a try though until I find a black light source.

Dave

Where do you get MEKP?

You can order from Amazon but I picked mine up locally at a Michaels craft store. Hobby Lobby probably has it also. Don't go to Home Depot because they will try to sell you a pint of something they call MEKP. The stuff you want comes in a small bottle like nail polish size.

Why do you use the MEKP? If you go to the link above and click on it it takes you to the Solarev page. If you click on FAQ on the left side it has a bunch of questions and answers. Click on the question on can it be thinned. It says you can not have any MEKP in it. So i dont understand. Can someone explain for me please?

As I understand it MEKP is not a thinner. It is a catalyst that when mixed to a certain ratio will make the Solarez cure without being exposed to UV light. You have a couple options in using MEKP. You mix it to a certain ratio to achieve full cure without UV or you can mix it to a lesser ratio to achieve what they call a dual cure. Using the "dual cure" option you expose it to UV for a few seconds and then pull it out of the UV for a few seconds. They give the ratios and curing time formulas in the directions for use on the jug of Solarez. I'm just too lazy at the moment to get up and go look to see what they are, but maybe this answers your question.

Ben

I've tried looking for the mekp, but have had no luck.  I found the substitute at Ace Hardware.  After a little google searching, it seems mekp is some very very nasty stuff.  As in, if you get any in your eyes at all you will go blind.  Anybody have experience with this stuff?  Is it as bad as it sounds, or is it comparable to say acetone in toxicity?

I received a sample of the casting resin from solarez that I wanted to experiment with using the mekp method.  The idea of only having to add mekp to a resin sounded promising to me, and I'm always trying to find something better too.  

I've tried looking for the mekp, but have had no luck.  I found the substitute at Ace Hardware.  After a little google searching, it seems mekp is some very very nasty stuff.  As in, if you get any in your eyes at all you will go blind.  Anybody have experience with this stuff?  Is it as bad as it sounds, or is it comparable to say acetone in toxicity?

I received a sample of the casting resin from solarez that I wanted to experiment with using the mekp method.  The idea of only having to add mekp to a resin sounded promising to me, and I'm always trying to find something better too.  

You can find MEKP at Lowes, WalMart and most auto parts stores.  It's most commonly used to harden fiberglass resin. In fact, most places just call it fiberglass resin hardener.  I use it in Solarez and for fiberglass work.  For small work, you typically only use drops of it at a time.  Use the same precations for MEKP as you would for any solvent like acetone, turpentine etc.

After reading all the posts about this product, I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try. I've been using Etex and D2T. Has anyone bought and/or used the UV-A lamp that Solarez has for sale to use with this product? Or do you guys buy the fluorescent light from the posted link and made your own UV curing box? 

After reading all the posts about this product, I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try. I've been using Etex and D2T. Has anyone bought and/or used the UV-A lamp that Solarez has for sale to use with this product? Or do you guys buy the fluorescent light from the posted link and made your own UV curing box? 

I bought 2 24" black lights from walmart (with the fixture) for $11 each. Work great.

I bought 2 24" black lights from walmart (with the fixture) for $11 each. Work great.

Don't waste your money on that UV bulb they sell on their site..Like Mad Moose said..Get a black light bulb and fixture from Walmart ...Nathan

Thank you very much gentlemen for your quick replies. I might have to look elsewhere though. Either Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware. The nearest Walmart from me is 21 miles. 

Forgot to ask. For those that are brushing it on, are you fellas using foam brushes or bristle brushes? I just use the foam brushes when I use Etex.

Edited by cereal killer

I have that same flashlight but only use it to pre-set the Rez or do small touch ups before going to the sun for final curing. It works well but I have come to believe that an hour in the sun really puts the final cure and fully hardens the Solarez to it's fullest potential.

You guys are about to convince to spend (yet) more money....

Hey Quickdraw.... Not trying to be a wiseacre but do you have to wait for a sunny day when you do coatings or will practically any daylight do?

There are UV's present even on a cloudy day, just not as strong. Look-up you local weather on the net and you can probably find your UV index. Where I live we have 362 days of sunshine a year and most of the time the UV index is 9 or 10 so I don't worry about finding a good source of UV's.