Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

I have that same flashlight but only use it to pre-set the Rez or do small touch ups before going to the sun for final curing. It works well but I have come to believe that an hour in the sun really puts the final cure and fully hardens the Solarez to it's fullest potential.

We'll do that quickdraw. By the way, this thing doesn't like sharpies.

We'll do that quickdraw. By the way, this thing doesn't like sharpies.

Not over a sharpie but I have marked on the Solarez with a Sharpie and that holds up pretty well. You could try to heat-set the sharpie first before coating or a quick coat of some other clear before the Solarez.

Ben,

I've just soaked my brush in Acetone and it worked fine.I was watching a video that Dahlburg did using a UV topcoat and he doesn't clean his brush...he wraps foil around it and keeps it out of an UV lighting...Nathan

ben i actually just use some cheaper kids brushes from walmart myself to brush on with and had good results after brushing it on semi thick and then letting it sit for 30-40 min and rotating a time or two to keep it evened out before setting outside to cure. 

overall i have been super pleased with solarez and it seems to hold up as well as a "factory" lures topcoat on rocks and concrete structures i have beat lures against while fishing  over the last few months. 

ben i actually just use some cheaper kids brushes from walmart myself to brush on with and had good results after brushing it on semi thick and then letting it sit for 30-40 min and rotating a time or two to keep it evened out before setting outside to cure. 

overall i have been super pleased with solarez and it seems to hold up as well as a "factory" lures topcoat on rocks and concrete structures i have beat lures against while fishing  over the last few months. 

Thanks. May have to go that route.

Ben

I just started coating my lures with Solarez and have discovered a couple things I thought I'd share. I'm brand new to lure painting so forgive me if this is obvious or has already been brought up.

I double coated a lure with a dark green back for my first attempt just to see if I would get any of the clouding that others have brought up. The first coat was a brushed on thin coat using a hair dryer to thin it out a little more after applying it. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then took it outside for a 30 second on-off drying session. I got no clouding at all but it came out with a fairly matte fisnish. I let it cure for about 45 minutes outside after inspecting it indoors after the original 3 minute on-off session. For the second coat I put on a very thick coat and hit it with a hair dryer again while constantly rotating it by hand. In its uncured state I got a pretty even thick layer and again did the 30 second on-off in the sun. This produced a very thick, even(for my first ever top coat anyway), no cloud, matte finish. Next I took a nail buffer too it and with about a minutes worth of buffing had a pretty good glossy finish. I also top coated a lure that I cleared with rattle can clear. I used a thick coat, hair dryer and rotated by hand and this one came out VERY glossy with zero clouding which was a nice suprise.

If a guy wanted to produce a glossy finish I would almost think that using a clear coat followed by Solarez would be the way to go but I don't know if that rattle can stuff will yellow. What do you all think?

Thanks for the results.  I tried using a separate uv clear (headlight restorer) over the solarez.  It looked great, for a few hours.  I looked at it the next day and the clear had cracks all over and the paint was being split.  

Totally different products, but if your trick still looks good after a couple days, then please post the spray clear you used.

The clear coat is Rustoleum, Painters Touch, Ultra Cover. Its been about 24 hrs so far and everything looks fine. I just don't know if it will yellow though. The can says UV resistant, non-yellowing but you know how that goes. Maybe with the Solarez over it won't yellow at all? I guess time will tell.

I made another discovery with the Solarez and I'll keep it brief this time. Twice I noticed the clouding developing on two different lures as they drip-dried after dipping them. Both times I was able to totally get rid of it using a hair dryer then curing it immediately after.

I made another discovery with the Solarez and I'll keep it brief this time. Twice I noticed the clouding developing on two different lures as they drip-dried after dipping them. Both times I was able to totally get rid of it using a hair dryer then curing it immediately after.

Thanks. Will definitely have to try that.

Ben

Have read the whole thread on this subject. Only drawback I saw was the hazy look that some were getting especially on black. Then some found out about slowing the cure. Was this the only way to help fight the hazy look? That and also using thinner coats?

I just coated my first batch of about 6 crankbaits and the finish on the body of the bait looks great, but the bill is lumpy and looks like it was about half set up when I applied it. I just opened the solarez and cleared the bills first. Tried the hair dryer and got some to run off the end of the bill that I wiped away but it set up in the sunlight shade scenario uneven and looks bad. Any body tried to remove it?

Got my solarez in today and was excited to try it. Had a bait painted up and applied it with a brush with a thin coat first. went out in the sun and it cured almost as soon as the sun hit it, it seems. So i decided to put a second coat on. Did that and  went back out in the sun. Got the same results.Finish leveled out real nice and drying is amazingly fast. I do see what people mean about the matt, satin finish. I didnt worry about all that i ted to see how it cured and looked as far as the overall finish. So now on to see if i can fine tune that satin look.

Got my solarez in today and was excited to try it. Had a bait painted up and applied it with a brush with a thin coat first. went out in the sun and it cured almost as soon as the sun hit it, it seems. So i decided to put a second coat on. Did that and  went back out in the sun. Got the same results.Finish leveled out real nice and drying is amazingly fast. I do see what people mean about the matt, satin finish. I didnt worry about all that i ted to see how it cured and looked as far as the overall finish. So now on to see if i can fine tune that satin look.

Cure the solarez slower...how to is in this thread i believe....good luck

Yeah i was out in the sun, hard to regulate it that way, I will get me a couple of lights or the flash light and be able to do the on and off method. I just wanted to see how it would do. Really looking forward to fishing with it and seeing how it holds up.

Yeah i was out in the sun, hard to regulate it that way, I will get me a couple of lights or the flash light and be able to do the on and off method. I just wanted to see how it would do. Really looking forward to fishing with it and seeing how it holds up.

But it in some clear water in the sink with a factory bait and see if you can tell the difference in the finish.......