Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

I hear ya Brent. It's just nice for it to look good to me as we'll.

I know....we all like our lures to look the best they can be....But being an old dog like myself....i don't care if it looks like a bug that has hit a windshield. If it catches fish and the fish don't care neither do i. I'll bet you that if strike king came out with the ugliest color in the world and KVD caught fish on it, everyone would be trying to copy it...  Case in point....Bandit Lures came out with a color years ago that they don't make anymore...They didn't sell any because the color look like SH...t.  I use to have a tackle shop a long time ago and was able to find 7 of them that were still in the pack and they were different sizes....I had them sitting in my reel case at the shop one day and was offered 40 dollars each for them. No i didn't sell them....the reason i didn't was because the old Bandits are not made like the new ones. But you can always custom paint a new one. You might get 8 bucks for it. But i promise it will still look like SH.....t......

good luck with the solarez....take care Brent

My thoughts on the satin, matte, not quite as glossy as epoxy finish: As long as it doesn't obscure the finish, which it hasn't for me, I am happy. 

The next thing I am going to say may get some negative responses, but it is just my opinion.

1) I don't like the look of epoxy as a top coat. Yes it is very shiny. In the water you can't see the difference between a clear satin finish and a clear super glossy finish. 2) I think epoxy is so thick that it just doesn't look that great. It is almost like the bait is encased in a clear shell. Yes, I know how proud you are of the paint job, so am I, but I am not creating a museum piece with a braided rope fence around it. I am making a lure to throw at fish. So far the Solarez had proven very tough. Remember this stuff wasn't designed for lures, it was designed to top coat surfboards. Surfboards hit reefs and sand. I haven't had any problems and lord knows I hit rocks all the item...and trees...bridges...the occasional small child.... castle portcullis... you get the picture.

The one thing I wished it did as well as epoxy, sealed in the lure eyes but I have started gluing them on using...yup...epoxy.

I will second the toughness. The smallmouth in the creeks around here have move up into the riffles for the summer and I have purposely been throwing the same square bill for a couple trips now. Its a KO 1.5 that dives 3-4 feet and I'm throwing it in a foot or two of water with it banging rocks constantly. The only visible damage is to the front edge of the bill and even then there is no cracking, flaking or falling off of the Solarez on the rest of the bill.

I need some help fellas. Frustration is setting in with this stuff. I was able to consistently produce an even, cloud free, fairly glossy finish and now cannot. I am using the same method every time but not getting the same results. That surface clouding that some have noticed seems to be popping up no matter what I do. Does anyone have any ideas or sure fire ways that they get a consistently clean finish? The only variable I can think of is the humidity or temperature change maybe?

I need some help fellas. Frustration is setting in with this stuff. I was able to consistently produce an even, cloud free, fairly glossy finish and now cannot. I am using the same method every time but not getting the same results. That surface clouding that some have noticed seems to be popping up no matter what I do. Does anyone have any ideas or sure fire ways that they get a consistently clean finish? The only variable I can think of is the humidity or temperature change maybe?

Well you say you have done everything exactly the same minus two factors: temperature change and humidity. I really think that may be the problem. If that's all that has changed.... 

I'm still happy.

I've just had a person (that recently purchased one of my lures coated with solarez) say that the paint job just peeled off.  I've had a couple issues, but nothing to that extent.  Anybody else have this happen?  These are over my resin lures too.

• Like 1

I just placed my order. 

A couple of questions...

#1 Anyone tried stripping it off a lure yet? Paint stripper or any other chemical method?

#2 Anyone tried buffing the finish out on a three wheel polishing system like pen turners use?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25426    "Acrylic Pen Buffing System"

#3 Anyone tried it out on re-finished spoons? Daredevil etc...

Thanks

Roy

I just placed my order. 

A couple of questions...

#1 Anyone tried stripping it off a lure yet? Paint stripper or any other chemical method?

#2 Anyone tried buffing the finish out on a three wheel polishing system like pen turners use?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25426    "Acrylic Pen Buffing System"

#3 Anyone tried it out on re-finished spoons? Daredevil etc...

Thanks

Roy

Wow, what timing. I was just going to post about this.

I picked up an oooooold two wheel grinder with a cloth buffing wheel on one side and a block of white polishing compound at a flea market yesterday. Got it all for $20 thinking I might try and polish up my solarezed lures. I got it home, plugged it in, put on some compound and sure enough it shined them right up! I would say they are at about 90% full gloss if that makes sense. If I had the know-how and maybe another wheel I'm sure I could bring them to a mirror shine but as they are now they are pretty darn near it. It took about a minute per lure after I got the hang of it.

I figured as much,  I turn pens and cast my own blanks from polyester casting resin. they are cut up on a band-saw and then turned on my lathe. They look like doggie do do before you buff them out. One of the things I use on the resin pens is Novus plastic polish. There are three types of it. Here is a link to there site. I use it to repair lightly scratched safety glasses as well.

http://www.novuspolish.com/video.html

A-Mac, do you have any details of the peeling? Did the Solarez crack and peel -- taking the paint and exposing the primer?

I do not have the lure in hand yet.  I know the guy has been catching quite a few fish on them, but he pretty much explained it that one cast it was "fine", and the next a majority of the paint came back peeled off.  He said on his other lure from me (also solarez) that it has a couple cracks from throwing in rocks but that the paint is staying in place so far.  I am using white createx as my base.  I haven't found a primer for resin lures yet that I though adhered to the lure any better.  I told him I'd repaint it for him.  Chips are one thing, but if the paint scheme is all coming off then I feel obligated to make it right.  I switched back over to DN recently... I forgot how much I hate that stuff too!  But at least your lure is indestructible with it.

It really seems like the Createx is adhering well to itself and the Solarez if it's all peeling together.  From what we know so far, the weakest part of the system seems to be between the resin and the initial Createx basecoat.  Unless Solarez is chemically weaking that bond, this might be more of a basecoat issue...Maybe DN exposes that weak-link less becuase it isn't as brittle and is less likely to shatter, taking the paint with it(?)

I'd like to hear your thoughts after you get the lure in your hand and you get a chance to consider the whole issue.

Just wanted to say thanks as well for mentioning the problem.

I paint a lot of spoons, Daredevil and such. I found that when using Createx as a base the paint peeled of in sheets when a pike cut through the finish. I used Epoxy, Lacquer, Polyurethane, and acrylic floor polish for the top coat. The teeth cut through all of them. The finish was adhered  well to the above listed top-coats. It was not bonded to the spoon or the base. 

What I found to work better is white primer of any brand, I scuff sand the spoons, prime them, put them in a dehydrator overnight and paint them using Createx.  The teeth sill cut through the finish and battle scar my spoons but the finish no longer peels off in large chunks. 

For me it was a bonding to the base (the spoon) not a bonding to the finish issue. 

I have not tried the zinsser cover stain, it is a Shellac based product and shellac turns white in water. Think of the rings you get on vintage furniture when you set a drink on it. Alcohol is it's solvent and it remelts into itself even years after its applied. Your favorite hard liquor will strip shellac covered furniture.

I use a dehydrator from the thrift store to dry all my lures after priming and painting since we average 80% humidity here in the summer. It's one of the round ones with about ten racks. If your in Arizona you can most likely skip that part of my process. I dry my wood blanks in it as well.

JMHO, if you use water based paint on a lure and the topcoat is damaged, water will migrate into the paint and will try to push the finish off the surface.  The only topcoat I've used that avoids this is fresh Dick Nite S81, which wants to soak into acrylic paint and change its water attracting properties.

I got the damaged crank back from the guy.  A good chunk of clear had come off the top, taking the all the paint down to the resin.  On the same lure, there were several spots were the clear had come off too.  The lake this guy fishes has tons of docks, and it was evident from the cracks in the clear that he had banged a few very hard.  However, he hasn't had the lure for more than about a month and has been crackin' some good fish on it too.  Needless to say, I told him I'll repaint it and use a different clear (DN) that should hold up much better.

This lure originally had 1 dip coat of solarez.  I still use this stuff all the time as a ballast filler and feel it is a great tool for lure making (and around the house fixes), but it's just too brittle for putting on lures as a topcoat.