Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

Here's What The Nano Quartz Stats

DESCRIPTION: Matte Finish

Our toughest final coating treatment. A highly corrosion and solvent resistant Vinyl
Ester Epoxy Resin with heat and scratch-resistant microscopic quatz
particles dispersed. The ultimate matte finish has outstanding scuff and
scratch resistance and vastly improved heat deflection characteristics
as well as UV inhibitors.

Edited by MikePaintsBaits

Ben, I dip straight out of the can with no issues. It's thick but if I let it all run off before exposing it to sunlight it lays out smooth. I haven't tried it on any plastic repaints only wooden flat sides. I wish it had more shine. I only use it on baits I'm keeping for myself.

I've tried warming it up after it it was applied Nate, but not before applying it. Will have to give that a try next.

I haven't tried it on plastics either Barr, but I have the same problem on wood baits whether it's a rounded body or a flat side. I did a second bait with it this afternoon and stirred it a little more thoroughly this time. It came out better and with only one dip this time, but still far from the smooth finish epoxy gives.

I was hoping to be able to get the seal coat smooth enough that it only required minimal sanding before painting. The thing that worries me about trying to sand the finish smooth is there's no telling how thin some areas can get before they are smooth.

The big problem is that it doesn't make me mad enough to draw a target on the container. That's one way of solving ALL the problems I've been having with the Solarez. :teef:

thanks guys,

Ben

When I dip my baits, I typically leave the bait in the dip jar for a moment, moving it up and down, and then draw it out slowly.

I do that to make sure it gets into all the details.

So far, I haven't had any problems with uneven thickness.

But, they say the Lord watches out for children and fools, and I'm no child.

You got that right Glenn. When Solarez first hit the boards at TU I waited for a couple months to see if there were any problems with it before deciding to purchase it.I saw right off I wasn't going to like it as a top coat, but figured I could still use it as a sealer. Now I'm having the problem with uneven coverage. Still have a few more things to try before I give up on it though. It's certainly cheap enough when compared to other coatings and if I can figure out how to get it to leave a smooth, level surface it will be easy and quick to use it as a sealer.

And the search for the perfect coating continues. When I'm dead and gone the search for the perfect top coat will probably still be going on.

I'll give that a try Mark. May have to hire a masseuse to come over and massage the baits to get rid of any built in stress before applying the Solarez. :D

thanks guys,

Ben

You got that right Glenn. When Solarez first hit the boards at TU I waited for a couple months to see if there were any problems with it before deciding to purchase it.I saw right off I wasn't going to like it as a top coat, but figured I could still use it as a sealer. Now I'm having the problem with uneven coverage. Still have a few more things to try before I give up on it though. It's certainly cheap enough when compared to other coatings and if I can figure out how to get it to leave a smooth, level surface it will be easy and quick to use it as a sealer.

And the search for the perfect coating continues. When I'm dead and gone the search for the perfect top coat will probably still be going on.

I'll give that a try Mark. May have to hire a masseuse to come over and massage the baits to get rid of any built in stress before applying the Solarez. :D

thanks guys,

Ben

At the worst, she'll relieve some of the built-up tension.   :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Everyone has the right to get the best finish they can and it won't always be the same material for each of us. I only finish lures for myself and I am easy to please. When I found that epoxy would do what I wanted if I did my job, I quit looking for something better. I'm sure it's out there but so is the next musky. For me I'm not reinventing the wheel to find something that works better than something that is good enough for me. I hope you can find a finish that you can apply that gives the results you desire. Got a phone # for that massuse. lol

Epoxy does a good job for me as well Glen, but I can't seem to help myself when it comes to looking for something that's easier, quicker and cheaper. When it comes to things like that I truly cursed. May have to go back to south Louisiana to visit miss Rudolph the Voodoo Lady to see about getting this curse lifted. :D

Ben

The phone number for the masseuse is a secret. :ph34r: 

Ben

First I close my garage doors, so no sunlight, even reflected, can come in.

Then I sit my jug of Solarez in a tupperware of warm water to get it thinner, and then dip it and let it drip back into my black plastic container.

While it's dripping, I set up my UV nail light, and get it ready to hang my lure in.

Once the lure has stopped dripping, I wipe the last drops of Solarez on the edge of the dripping jug, and then I suspend the lure in the nail light.

I try to turn it every thirty seconds, until it has hung for a total of three minutes.

At that point it is hard, and ready to fish.  I can shape, paint, topcoat, and fish a lure the same day, using Solarez and PVC trimboard.  I have heard that Solarez works as a sealer for wood, so it should be possible to do the same with a wooden lure, if you use the Solarez as a sealer, too.

If I want more gloss I rub it with some fine polish on a rag, but I'm usually happy with it just as it is when it comes out of the UV light.

I have found that it is not as brittle as D2T epoxy, which is really a glue.  D2T epoxy is very hard by design, but also brittle when hit with sharp things, like rocks.

The Solarez is designed for surfboard repairs, so it is both strong and tough, and I haven't had it crack like epoxy.

• Like 1

well after giving it some thought for a little while i think im going to get the one that mark uses here http://solarez.com/products/solarez-polyester-gloss-resin/

I have heard that the sanding one is good to so i might get it as well and just compare 2 to each other.I was looking at alum-uv but its just to much and have not heard as many great things about it.

I will be using it to seal and top coat balsa baits.Anyone got any tips on using it to seal and top coat wood baits? I also am a little concerned about the haze everyone is talking about

Edited by bluedragon2k9

I would use a tip shared here on TU to warm your resin in hot water, to get it to flow more.  Then you can dip it (with the doors and windows closed and covered so there is no UV light penetration) over the dipping jar, and let it drip back until it stops.  That way you'll get a thin, even coating, so it doesn't add too much weight to your balsa bait, and you can check it as it drips for any problems with coverage.  Brushing a little more onto any bare spots won't hurt, because it will flow down and blend smoothly.

Once the drips stop, blot the last bit off the bottom of the bait with a paper towel, and then hang it in a UV light until it cures (approx. 3 minutes).

If a drip does accumulate on the bottom while it's under the UV light and harden, you can file it off once it's hard, and sand it smooth.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

IMO - the gloss resin is best. I tried the low voc version and it's not what it says, smells just as bad and dries tacky. I've stirred it, shaked it, even put it in a paint mixer and it still dries tacky. Lately I have been messing with the sanding sealer. It's good, dries hard and never tacky, but it's allot thicker and doesn't flow near as well as the gloss resin. I tried putting it in hot water and it helps but it's still pretty thick. Too much hangs on the bait for me.