Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

Called my local Wally World and they don't have the Good Earth Lighting black light.  They carry this:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Blacklight-Fixture/16879944

Any idea if this will work?

jeremy

I don't think so....What is this Good Earth black light you are referring too?????

Ok guys been fallowing this for a while now and really thinking about it but a few questions. First what if you placed them in a tanning bed to cure? I know my wife would kill me but hey would it work? second I do alot of KO painting what about clearing the bill has anyone doe the bill yet? thanks

Thanks Nathan,

I told her about this might happen about two weeks ago so last night she asked " do you have baits in my tanning bed?" I told her not yet but maybe soon! I will be dipping I reade you take the tip of the drip off before coating how long wopuld you let them hang before you know it wont drip any more? this is the only thing I am woried about with the tanning bed?

...I have had really good luck using it as a seal coat on wood blanks...

CLM

Hi,

I was thinking of trying this as a sealer on wood lures as well, but I was wondering if the liquid that soaked into the wood would cure if UV light couldn't reach it.  Have you noticed a problem with this?

Eric

Hi,

I was thinking of trying this as a sealer on wood lures as well, but I was wondering if the liquid that soaked into the wood would cure if UV light couldn't reach it.  Have you noticed a problem with this?

Eric

On the web site for Solarez, they have a video that talks about using the material so that it cures before it can soak into the wood, unlike slower cure products.  They say apply a thin coat and quick cure, then apply a second coat.

http://www.solarez.com/uses/surfboards.html

If you hang your baits to drip off before you put them in the tanning bed, you shouldn't have a problem.

I dip my cranks and swimbait sections in Solarez,

I've found, working in my garage with just a small light overhead, I have enough time for the baits to hang and the excess to drip off without starting the set.

I hold the crankbaits over the black Solarez jar after I dip them, so the majority of the runoff/dripping goes right back into the jar.  That take approx. 15 seconds.

Once the dripping slows down to occasional drips, I move the baits to hang them over a three layer paper towel dripping area on my work bench beneath an over head shelf where I have a rack that I can hang the baits from to drip.  

It takes another minute for the drips to stop, at which point I use a paper towel to pinch off the bottom drip.  

I let them hang another minute, and pinch them clean again, and make sure the hook hangers are clean, too.

Then I hang them in my nail light box, turning them every 30 seconds, for three minutes.

At that point they are done.

My swimbait sections are too big to dip in the jar, so I use a fine bristle brush to brush them with the resin.  I've learned that I have enough time to brush them evenly with a single coat, and then I let them hang and remove any accumulation, again using paper towels and cleaning out any hardware as needed.

I've found I can redrill the bicycle spoke hinge pin holes after the resin has set with no problems.

The Solarex can be drilled to adjust the ballast without cracking, and touched up afterwards by adding a drop or two of the resin over the filled ballast holes.  I smooth it as best I can, and then taking them outside for a minute with the patches facing up to start the set and prevent the patches from sagging.  Then I put them into the UV light for another couple of minutes and they're done,

I fished one of my swimbaits yesterday for the first time, and the finish held up fine to both the constant contact of the joint hitting each other, and to a rock that jumped up and smacked the bait (because it was just too pretty to resist).

Solarez has been everything I hoped for in a top coat.

I too have been lurking this thread for a while now to see if anyone has tried Solarez on balsa but i haven't seen anyone post on it yet. Also, is a light box an absolute necessity or could I just go the sunlight route. As I build in low volume (read:one at a time...) i wouldn't need a setup for even 10 lures at a time...

I have been using it on balsa. As a seal and top coat. However I live in NE so it's ice season right now. It seems to be a great product. I would buy the 30$ nail dryer personally. It can be used when cold and when it's dark! I have been sealing then painting, then coat with solarez. But since its winter, I have been using one coat of bob smith to finalize the lure. I think it looks better than solarez. But if I was in a hurry I would certainly use a lure finished with solarez!

A quick question, my wood swimbait has a coat of CA thin glue over it as a sealing coat, I was planing to paint over the CA glue surface but it has alot of uneven spots after some light sanding because I accidently put a little too much in some places, now im wondering if i lay a coat of solarez over the glue coat to get a beter surface for painting, will the solarez still be able to bond good with the bait?

Well I got mine in yesterday. I dipped a crank and turned on my $12 UV flashlight I got on Amazon and in minutes it was done. My first thought was "It can't be this easy!!" I did a second dip and cure and I am very impressed.

I am going to use the "let it drip a bit" method. Also I bought some Devcon. $4.49 for .84 ounces. Solarez is $32 for a quart shipped. That's a HUGE savings! I know when I mix epoxy I leave a bunch behind where I mix it. The Solarez is much much less wasteful.

To whoever discovered this stuff and shared it with the TU community: THANK YOU! 

• Like 1

Well I got mine in yesterday. I dipped a crank and turned on my $12 UV flashlight I got on Amazon and in minutes it was done. My first thought was "It can't be this easy!!" I did a second dip and cure and I am very impressed.

I am going to use the "let it drip a bit" method. Also I bought some Devcon. $4.49 for .84 ounces. Solarez is $32 for a quart shipped. That's a HUGE savings! I know when I mix epoxy I leave a bunch behind where I mix it. The Solarez is much much less wasteful.

To whoever discovered this stuff and shared it with the TU community: THANK YOU! 

Would you mind posting a link to the flashlight you purchased?  Thanks!

Hey guys and gals, I think WalMart has been watching our thread.  I have not tried it (have a nail dryer being delivered this week), but last night I saw that they had a new light fixture, with black light bulb, for only $10.97.  It is a 24", 17 watt unit.  I can see making a much larger,or much smaller, cure box with this.

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

Black Light.jpg

post-26591-0-55401500-1359586782_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anglinarcher

Hey guys and gals, I think WalMart has been watching our thread.  I have not tried it (have a nail dryer being delivered this week), but last night I saw that they had a new light fixture, with black light bulb, for only $10.97.  It is a 24", 17 watt unit.  I can see making a much larger,or much smaller, cure box with this.

attachicon.gifBlack Light.jpg

All black lights are NOT equal......be careful.....

• Like 1