Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

Mark,

I'm still playing around with this stuff..but it doesn't seem to me near as brittle.Save your money on that light bulb they sell..I can't get the product to set up all the way using it...I have to stick the baits out side to get them to set up all the way...I can see my self building a drying box...Nathan

I don't think it will be as brittle as D2T, I really had to beat the heck out of it to crack it. (Not as flexible as Dick Nites or other moisture cures) Regarding the light...I am using the nail salon light and have had zero failures for it to set up...no tackiness at all. My light only cost abou $20 and has been flawless.

• Like 1

I am trying the low odor/voc pe resin and I am having issues with the surface being tacky no matter which way I try to cure it. Gary from Solarez said the surface should cure dry. I am working with him and doing some tests to see if I have a bad batch? I am taking the resin and pouring some on a piece of foil. Then before I take it outside I put a piece of plastic wrap over the resin. This is to suffocate the resin and keep atmospheric oxygen away from the resin. I am still getting a tacky surface. This was around 3 pm my time. He wants me to try it at 12 noon when the sun is higher in the sky. If I get a tacky surface then it probably means I have a bad batch. He has been really nice to deal with and said he would send out a new batch or refund my money. I told him there has been success with the gloss resin curing. He told me there is some wax in the gloss resin that rises to the surface and suffocates the resin making the surface cure dry. That might be why there is some issues with getting a glossy surface. When Cougarftd is interupting the curing process that probably is doing something to the wax and giving him a glossier surface. To answer the brittle question, I have taken the resin off the foil and tried bending it around. It will snap before you can bend it around flat but it does have some give to it. I am thinking it is not as brittle as D2T but not as flexible as Etex.

I am trying the low odor/voc pe resin and I am having issues with the surface being tacky no matter which way I try to cure it. Gary from Solarez said the surface should cure dry. I am working with him and doing some tests to see if I have a bad batch? I am taking the resin and pouring some on a piece of foil. Then before I take it outside I put a piece of plastic wrap over the resin. This is to suffocate the resin and keep atmospheric oxygen away from the resin. I am still getting a tacky surface. This was around 3 pm my time. He wants me to try it at 12 noon when the sun is higher in the sky. If I get a tacky surface then it probably means I have a bad batch. He has been really nice to deal with and said he would send out a new batch or refund my money. I told him there has been success with the gloss resin curing. He told me there is some wax in the gloss resin that rises to the surface and suffocates the resin making the surface cure dry. That might be why there is some issues with getting a glossy surface. When Cougarftd is interupting the curing process that probably is doing something to the wax and giving him a glossier surface. To answer the brittle question, I have taken the resin off the foil and tried bending it around. It will snap before you can bend it around flat but it does have some give to it. I am thinking it is not as brittle as D2T but not as flexible as Etex.

Thanks for the update CLM. Keep us informed of your successes, or failures, with the Solarez.

Ben

Yeah, thanks to all for your research and testing.

I'm concerned that it might crack and chip like D2T, since it is a resin that sets up hard.

It probably would never be a problem with one piece baits like crankbaits, but it might be with jointed swimbaits, since the joints bang against each other as the lure swims.

Mark....Phil said he and to beat the hell out of the bait before the Solarez chipped....I know it's not as glossy as D2T or Etex.......but i think that this product is a good thing.......Easy to apply...dry's quick....you don't have to turn it.....no wasted product....cost effected...just to name a few.....And thanks to Bass100 for turning us on to it....

I'm using the exact same light as Cougarftd. It works great! I'm thinking about getting another and and removing the plates to have a little more room for larger lures. Though I haven't really experimented a lot yet, shorter light periods (shorter than the 120 second timer) definately made the finish glossier. I'm thinking a few 20-30 second lightings with about the same amount of non-lighted timings are the ticket, followed by a longer hard finishing cure. Just a guess for now.

This stuff shows a lot of promise as a under coat as well.I brushed on a coat and let it set for about 10 minutes to soak into the wood...stuck it outside for a couple minutes (my new nail light hasn't arrived yet)...Brushed on a second coat ( first coat was still a hair tacky so I got good adhesion)and put it back out on the sun light for 3 more minutes and I ended up with a really nice hard smooth surface for painting.I'll rough it up a little with sand paper before I paint..Nathan

This stuff shows a lot of promise as a under coat as well.I brushed on a coat and let it set for about 10 minutes to soak into the wood...stuck it outside for a couple minutes (my new nail light hasn't arrived yet)...Brushed on a second coat ( first coat was still a hair tacky so I got good adhesion)and put it back out on the sun light for 3 more minutes and I ended up with a really nice hard smooth surface for painting.I'll rough it up a little with sand paper before I paint..Nathan

I've had good success paint directly on the stuff without sanding. Do make sure that you wipe the surface down. I have noticed (with the light) that the finish will sometimes sweat??? Either way, I wiped down the lure with alcohol, just in case, and haven't had any issues.

Ha! My girlfriend is excited for once about the lure making mess. She wants her nails airbrushed now that I have a UV light. What irks me, she has known about this UV coat stuff for God only knows how long and never told me!

Mac- not too sure about this NEW stuff (Solarez Polyeurothane)), but when I was making surfboards 40 years ago :drool: , wax was always a problem, as the resin cured the wax rose and left a thin coating on the surface.

What you are doing is probably correct, but something like 'Shellite' or 'Prepsol' MAY be better, anyway whatever you want to call it, use something to remove wax and grease like panel sprayers use (and a light sand does not hurt either).

Pete

Edited by hazmail

Well Solarez sent me out some pe gloss resin to replace the low odor resin that was not curing right. I was excited to try the new stuff but it never made it to me. It was damaged along the way and wouldn't be delivered by the carrier. Emailed Solarez and haven't heard back yet. Carrier was suppose to contact Solarez too. Don't know what to do now. I would really like to try this stuff but luck doesn't seem to be going my way. I know some were talking about resin leaking in the package when the received it. Has anybody else received resin or package damaged? Maybe they need to package this stuff better!!!

CLM