Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

I wonder if it continues to "cure" if exposed to sunlight for extended periods and possibly get brittle?

Sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Here is what I was told from the manufacturer:

"Hi Philip

Good question.

The photoinitiator is a stoichiometric mix (it is used up in the reaction) so when it cures, it's done.

UV light does break C=C bonds in nature and UV light is degrading to some resins. There are resins that are immune to UV light (aliphatic urethanes) and there are some that are mildly suceptible (polyester) and can be protected by UV inhibitors like we do. We filter out the damaging<350nm and allow through the 365-385nm"

Hope that helps!

I tried this stuff years ago after buying a tanning/blacklight to cure it with. I couldn't get it to cure quickly enough so gave up on it. As I recall the odor was HORRIBLE! So bad I quickly had to move the operation into the garage. I love the idea but I ran into two problems, odor and cure time.

RM

I tried this stuff years ago after buying a tanning/blacklight to cure it with. I couldn't get it to cure quickly enough so gave up on it. As I recall the odor was HORRIBLE! So bad I quickly had to move the operation into the garage. I love the idea but I ran into two problems, odor and cure time.

RM

It does smell until it cures, then no smell. Cure time less than 10 minutes just using sunlight

Well I got mine in the mail yesterday...apparently they didn't get the lid sealed well.The plastic bag wrapped around my quart of Solarez was full of product that had leaked...I'll be on the phone to them today...There is still some that is salvageable in the bottle to mess with...Nathan

Well I got mine in the mail yesterday...apparently they didn't get the lid sealed well.The plastic bag wrapped around my quart of Solarez was full of product that had leaked...I'll be on the phone to them today...There is still some that is salvageable in the bottle to mess with...Nathan

Mine was a mess as well...take it out in the sun for a few minutes (with the cap on it)...the product on the outside of the bottle will cure and won't be tacky. I would guess I did not lose much of the product but it was an annoyance.

Here is a response I got to a request to try and get more of a gloss finish as opposed to the "satin" finish:

Philip Jarog wrote:

If I may trouble you for one more bit of information? As I believe I mentioned previously, we are using your product as a clear coat on custom painted lures. The finish seems to come out as a satin finish. I was told by someone that you can alter the curing process to obtain more of a clear glossy finish. Is this true? He said to slow the curing process by starting then stopping the process and not allow it to cure too fast? Does that sound correct to you? Thanks again!
Phil

Hi Philip

That should help with the "dolphin-skin" effect but polyesters have styrene in them and it is volatile. What you are seeing is the pit holes from departing styrene. If you were to use the urethane acrylates (fishing lure resins) you'd see a gum-drop finish

So it seems you will never get the crystal clear finish you get with Devcon or auto clears. But for most applications I think the ease of use more than makes up for it.

Earlier in this thread there was talk about the Solarez having more of a "satin" finish. I know you can take a lure top coated with any of several clears and scuff it with fine sandpaper and as soon as you put it in water you no longer see the scratches left by the sandpaper. Has anyone held a bait top coated with the Solarez underwater to see what it looks like? Just wondering.

Ben

Let me give you the results of my first test with the Solarez. I decided to press the boundaries a little. The container says, "brush or spray" so, I decided to dip. The Solarez is a little thick for dipping. However, the majority of it ran off. It does a wonderful job of clearcoating your fingers. :D It did level out but not as nice as I had hoped. I think that if you keep it inside and let it level more before exposing it to the sun that it may level more. Still it wasn't bad. In the sun it set up in about five minutes. After it cured, I brushed on a second coat. It looked like crap at first but I rotated it by hand for a couple of minutes before taking it out into the sun. It leveled nicely. NOTE: The first coat irregularities were not hidden by the second coat, so you can't hide you imperfections with this stuff. Fumes were noticeable but not overbearing IMO. That said though, you probably wouldn't want to use it in the house. The finish is slightly dull. Something that you'll have to get used to if you like the high gloss finishes like D2T and Etex. I don't think the fish will care one way or the other. It appears to be a fairly hard top coat but I haven't fished it yet. BTW, I cleaned up fingers with denatured alcohol and it worked great.

Gene

• Like 1