Tally

Tally's Tiger (REPORT)

I finally had a chance to proceed on my crank project. After tub test and many hours playing with different weighting, I am now ready to take this crank to the lakeon Thursday. This is the third full bait I have made and the first to make it to the water with. I will either get the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. Again, I just want to say thanks to this forum for all the help. I hope you enjoy looking at Tally's Tiger.

Dave

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

tallystiger.jpg

662_thumb.attach

Thanks Coley, I have been admiring your work for some time. Being new I don't think I have the right to critique anyones work. "Unusual" paint job, Is that good or bad :?: ? Sometimes I get a little carried away when I am painting. I know you can't buy a bait that is painted like this at Wal-mart.

Dave

Tally, One heck of a great job! Its "UNUSUAL" to the good side. I must say it looks as if getting carried away painting is a good thing. Good craftsmanship and I must say I admire the time that must have gone into the painting! The unusual paint definitely makes it a true one of a kind! I dont think anyone will be throwing anything even close to that on the lake. Again, thats a good thing. Im anxious to see how your lure runs and if you land anything. If you land anything... post a pic! I know I will on mine! Cody

Don't take "unusual" as bad. I have not and

would not make a negative comment about

anyone's lure. If you look at my baits. Several

are unusual, and thats a good thing. Fish see

the samething day in and day out, it's the

"unusual" that will fool them. There are

many, many one of a kind baits on this site.

They are not of the norm, so they must be unusual.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the

wooden Bomber or not. It was round, had a brass

diving lip and shaped like a bomb, hence the name.

I have made several on my mini lathe. I am now

making one that is flat sided, very unusual.

Coley

Coley-

I respect your opinion and just wanted to make sure I understood. The lip in that bait was the third one. As time goes on, I guess the lip cutting will come second nature but right now it is the part I hate. On lip # 3 everything kind of fell into place and the lip came out perfect.

Dave

Coley, I was just wishing today that I had some of Bombers old catalogs with their extensive color charts and all of their beautiful, and some very unusual colors! For me and many others, wood Bombers were the original crank baits. One of my latest creations is a very flat-sided Bass-Oreno type lure. I'll post pictures soon. Looking forward to f-s Bomber :!:

Dean

Great job on the bait! I look back at the first baits I made some of which are posted in the gallery and cannot believe just how bad they were! Wish I could get into the gallery and delete some of them....or at least take my name off of em, lol. Anyway...congrats and I hope it runs perfectly for you!

Jed

Thanks everyone. The painting part I really enjoy. I have had some very good teachers and I appreciate all the help. If the baits runs correctly and does what I designed it to do, there will be more on the way (the fish will tell me that). Otherwise, it is back to the drawing board and more testing. On a brighter note, if the Tiger runs correctly he is already sold :) . I have mixed emotions about that but I guess I can make another.

Tally

Thanks Skeeter-

I thought I would get a reply about Devcon also!

Here is the REPORT :D:D:D

After spending about 15 minutes tweaking and tuning, I got the best reults that I could and was looking for. The "Tiger" runs very-very good and is tuned perfectly. He runs staight and comes back in under the boat the way a perfectly tuned bait should. It has a very different wiggle than I am used to. The best way I can describe it is, more wiggle than a Poe's and less wobble than a Wiggle Wart. Needless to say, old DT is pretty excited. Knowing that if the bait ran good he already had a home I was reluctant to fish it, but I could not refuse the chance. On my fourth or fifth cast I caught a 14 1/2" Largemouth. That was the last time I fished the bait and decided the new owner would be very greatful to own this bait. Also, I know deep down that I sold a bait that catchs fish.

Once again, I want to thank TU for all the help. This was a long time coming and alot of research and trial and error but well worth it.

Dave

Feels real damn good doesn't it Tally? I know how much work you put into that bait. Not only can you feel good about your skills, but you can also feel good that you KNOW what a deep running crankbait needs to do. Not many people really know. Congratulations my friend!

Skeeter

Thanks Skeeter-

You are 100% correct, I have a ton of hours in this bait. I also asked a ton of questions, which you were very helpful. You brought me thru stages of this bait that help me make this bait different than a store bought bait. By the way, I have a lot of fire wood for next year. The old saying is very true, if at first you don't suceed, try, try again and again.

Tally