chasing120

Source For Cellular Pvc Board In Australia

Hi All,

This is a question for all the Australian members out there, does anyone know of a Cellular PVC Board supplier in Australia? I'm over working with wood in regards to swelling during use but don't really want to get into moulding. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

Google Celuka Board.

Checked the material specifications out of curiosity(I'm in Europe) ,....... to me it looks like that with a density of 0,5 to 0,6 grams per cubic centimeter it does not seem to be the most buoyant stuff(about half as heavy as water) , ......but well worth a try for medium sized and bigger bibbed lures .

Cheers , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

I've had a look and it looks OK, the density is Ok as it is for 3.5 Inch plus lures and I'm partial to suspenders anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

John.

Great to hear that you're OK with it , ......I was just thinking , that my own stuff(refridgerator insulation scrap pieces sold by a guy on a local forum)is somewhat more buoyant , ....makes up for 2" lures even with a bit bigger aluminium bib , thru-wired and is still able to carry a little ballast lead shot in the rear yet popping off bottom obstacles nicely.

Good luck carving , .....cheers , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

I've used a couple of pieces of celuka (a gift from Hazmail) but I've since returned to timber as I find it's a PITA to get a nice finish and a lot harder to shape. The skin on the outside takes a lot to get through, and can form a bit of a ridge when you round the edges down.

It also melts when cut under power and can seal together or clog up easily. That said, it doesn't have a grain so I've taken to shaping roughly with a plane/knife/chisel then finishing off with a power sander.

Bouyancy wise it's pretty good for cod sized lures, a small piece of ballast and big hooks/hangers/split rings gives a slow rise.

Each to their own though, be interested to see how you like it.

Steve

John--Celuka is the original name (Dupont or 3M I think)--also try googling "expanded PVC sheet australia"- OR if you have some large scale printers in your area, try them as they make billboards out of it- also 'Plastic suppliers' (Polycarbonate, perspex etc)-----ask for 'expanded PVC sheet', they will know what you are talking about - ( @ apx $180 per 15mm sheet)

I have some bits here, but I'm thinking they might not be enough.

Like steve I'm a bit over it, but for saltwater toothies and BREAM this stuff is indestructable compared to wood.

Pete

Edited by hazmail

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like everything there is a down side. I primarily make lures for Barra and Jacks so I was just after something a little more durable but if it is going to be hard to shape it might not be worth it. I don't so much mind the battle scars but the swelling of wood is a PITA. Maybe I need to look at my sealing, Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like everything there is a down side. I primarily make lures for Barra and Jacks so I was just after something a little more durable but if it is going to be hard to shape it might not be worth it. I don't so much mind the battle scars but the swelling of wood is a PITA. Maybe I need to look at my sealing, Any suggestions?

Guess that this one decribed in following link is quite good , but I haven't yet tried it for myself yet , I'm just using simple liquid wood sealer or 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine(on abache wood only) :

http://www.tacklemaking.com/default.php?pageID=112

There should be a lot of info on that "woodsealing" topic to be found in here as well , ........utilize the search function typing in matching keywords .

If my memory serves me right , one TU member even sells these certain propionate pellets :? .

Still I would advise you to obtain a little PVC decking sample to see , whether it works out for you or not , .......this little video put out by a friend from a German site may give you an impression how easy the refridgerator insulation stuff , that we are using over here , works down even by hand .

I'm also familiar to the American "Azek" PVC trim board , I was given some samples by a TU member some time ago , its only a tad denser and heavier , but it really does not make a big difference , ........the above mentioned harder outer layer , which is only 1-2 millimetres deep , can easily be cut off on a bandsaw , if you do not wish to encounter it when carving(yes , it also carves well) .

Good luck , diemai :yay: