Kris

? For Those With Homemade Vacuum Forming Machine

I have built a simple vacuum forming machine and was wondering what the HP of the shop vac should be?

I hooked up a 4hp shop vac and it didn't seem to pull a lot air (vacuum) through holes on top of vacuum box.

I was wondering if the 4hp is enough to form the plastic around the bait.

Thanks for the help ....

You didn't give much information to work with other than 4 HP shop vac. So we don't know what size form you have (surface area), what type of plastic film (thickness) what kind of baits ( simple sided or lots of details like gills, eyes, fins) or how much heat will be applied.

I would say try putting a 12" x12" piece of film or even paper on you vacuum form and see how easy it is to pull off. That should be a start to see if there is enough vacuum. Then try out with some scrap materials and the film you intend to use. It doesn't take much vacuum force if the plastic film area is large.

I'm using one of the small "husky" brand shop vacs from home depot. It works fine. I hit it with a heat gun in spots requiring a little more detail, but this only take a minute and I don't think added HP would provide added benefit. My surface area is ~12" by 12"