Jump to content
4 replies to this topic
Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:11 PM
I just finished my first ever crankbait. Came out pretty good. (At least.....I'm proud of it) Ploblem is that it sat perfectly in the water before I finished it with Flex Coat. Now the bait actually sinks. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Thanks :?
Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:28 PM
Man, I know the feeling. The first crank
I made sank also. Did you test it with
hooks on the first time??
If so, I don't have an answer.
Was it border line on the 1st test??
Maybe someone with more experience will know.
Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:19 AM
I really didn't know exactly how it should sit before the clear coat. It sat pretty low in the water but I just thought that was how it should be. I didn't think that the gel would add that much weight. How should the bait sit before the finish is applied?
Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:38 AM
I try to make my baits to sit
with about 1/4 of the bait out
of the water.
You don't have to paint or clearcoat
a bait to test it. You do need all
the major components on the bait.
Start by shaping, then add weight
that is accessible (so you can add
or remove), add hooks, split rings,
hooks and lip. Lip should fit snug
enough you don't have to glue it
in for test. Put it in the water and
note how it sits. If 1/3-1/4 of the
lure is out of the water, painting
and clearcoating should not sink
it. If you are worried it will soak up
water, spray it with shellac or krylon
clear. If it is balsa, put the first clear
coat on it.
I just can't see anyway possible for
paint and clearcoat to sink a bait,
unless it was about ready to sink before
it was applied.
Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:43 PM
Well I already know that the bait is made of hardwood. Lessen the weight by 1/16 oz. and try again. Or make your lures out of balsa, it is much more forgiving.