Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J lure

Jointed Swim Bait Pins......

5 posts in this topic

When you guys are making jointed swim baits, how are you keeping the wire/pins in to the joints/eye screws? I have been glueing them is there a better way and how do you do it?

I normally clear each part separate, then put the pins in and put a dab of epoxy over the pin hole. Of course, I was using either Dick Nites (dipping process) or envirotech (brushed, then turned). Both of these process wouldn't work with a jointed lure together, but a spray clear (like automotive) would probably work fine.

On the pins I drill the holes slightly smaller than the pin so they already have a snug fit. I can use any kind of filler but lately I've been fitting the pins to the exact length and put a dab of superglue on them when I slide the last 1/4" in. Clearcoat over the top. I like thid because if I need to disassymble in the future it's easy to see the pin and drive it out with a punch. Screw eyes is a dab of superglue on the threads before they go in and again they are in before paint and clearcoat.

Edited by quickdraw