Andree

Spikeit Lurepaint

If the paint has an acetone solvent base, and comes in glass jars, could you put the jars in a larger glass jar partially filled with acetone, so there is enough evaporated acetone around them to keep them from drying out?

The original Mend It soft plastic glue can in bottles that allowed the acetone to evaporate, so it had a very short shelf life. After they switched to different bottles, the problem was greatly reduced.

I keep my Mend It, and my crazy glue and nail polish, in a glass jelly jar on my boat, and they last a lot longer because their exposure to the open air is limited.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I bought some of the Spike-It paint about a year ago. It came in metal cans with a metal seal and a metal cap with liner over that. When I used some of it, I was careful to pry the metal seal out and save it. Put it back on the can after I was through painting and burnished it down with a smooth rod and replaced the cap. I know it's still liquid because it sloshes in the metal cans, so seems to work pretty well to keep the solvent (which I'm pretty sure isn't acetone...maybe MEK -methyl ethyl ketone) in the can. It does a nice job, but you do need the retarder to thin it.

Edited by pirkfan

maybe ive asked it before but do you not whipe the bait before painting?? LCs paint also had MEK in it but didnt stick that well to the baits asfar as i know.Maybe i did something wrong, but i wiped the baits thoroughly before painting.One thing that may have bein the problem was that i poured and painted the baits within an hour or so , with Spikeit ive heard that you should wait atleast 24 H before painting.

ok i understand. by the way, ive loocked at your films manny times and they have really inspired me . it made me start dipping the head of my swimbaits , sometimes i even dipp the whole 7,5 " swimbait, that gives it a really nice finish, cant wait to get the Spikeit colour paint and dip. only thing is that Spike it shipps by boat, But im gonna make that order then book me a flight to Thailand for five weeks and bring my 5piece Daiwa travellingrod and just hit the jungle :D thanks everybody for al the info..