martbaz

Woods?

Thanks.

I had forgotten that thread. I did read it when he first posted it.

I just printed it out so I'll have it on hand.

Now you have me trying to find some paulownia locally to try for my shallow cranks.

I have a shload of redwood leftover from jobs in my lumber pile. It is really light, but soft and weak.

Plus the dust from working it really tears up my sinuses. Otherwise, I'd have tried it long ago.

But paulownia sound like a fun wood to try.

Thanks again.

Edited by mark poulson

Your welcome Mark

But like you always say, just passing on what was given to me by the fine folks here at TU.

I too have bad sinus problems. Just born that way unfortunately for me. So, I know where your coming from on that front. First started lures on mini lathe. No mask or anything. Really ignorant but my sinuses would let me know something was wrong with every lure I carved. It left me unable to breathe for a day or two. I was working with cedar and basswood at the time. Both just killed me. Terrible sinus headaches. A friend gave me a carving a knife and with Gene's tutorial I have been making lures this way ever since. A knife makes slow work but not much dust and can be done anywhere.

I too have a stack(eastern red cedar) of lumber outback. My wife has plans for a table which someday I will be making.

The paulownia trees will be harder to spot this time of year with the leaves falling. But their large heart shaped elephant ear leaves are pretty easy to spot. A very brittle tree due to their fast growth. I see them here along the side of the road. Might try calling some tree trimming services. Sure they see about every kind of tree imaginable.

Jon

I really recommend you give paulownia a try. Nearly as light as Balsa but much tougher. No thru wire needed. One of the best woods for lures there is in my opinion.

Here is a bit of info

http://forestry.abou...s/paulownia.htm

Thanks, I will have to seek some out to give it a try. I love seeing the different actions of different woods and different building processes as well.