TrinityLureCompany

Why Isn't The Spinner Turning?

I am a newbie at lure making and I made up this lure for a few friends that wanted something for trout. Everything seemed to work right. The thru wire construction worked but when I tested the lure I couldn't get the spinner to spin on the wire. It does spin just fine out of the water. It doesn't seem like there is too much play on the wire where the spinner is so I am stumped. Any help for a newbie from you experts? Please! I am really liking this forum and all the unselfish help you guys are giving.

Thank you Miketlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

tlc 005.JPG

post-30927-0-55800700-1352311671_thumb.jpg

The blade depends on a vortex on the back/cup side to get spinning. It looks like the blade will just cup over the nose of the lure, preventing water flow behind the blade, so if you want it to spin it needs to be further away from the nose. I'd cut off the line tie, make what remains into an eye, then add a wire extension to mount the blade further away from the nose.

• Like 1

Bob thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely do this and see what happens. I appreciate the help here on this forum. Other forums I have been on seem to relish in the idea of making you look like an idiot.

Mike

Fortunately, here at TU, we seem to be quite capable of doing that for ourselves.

It must be our independent, self-reliant streak.

• Like 3

I am a newbie at lure making and I made up this lure for a few friends that wanted something for trout. Everything seemed to work right. The thru wire construction worked but when I tested the lure I couldn't get the spinner to spin on the wire. It does spin just fine out of the water. It doesn't seem like there is too much play on the wire where the spinner is so I am stumped. Any help for a newbie from you experts? Please! I am really liking this forum and all the unselfish help you guys are giving.

Thank you Miketlc 005.JPG

fyi, neat looking lure. Is it intended to float or be submersed?

AMac it is supposed to be submerged and Mark I have no problem myself looking like an idiot on my own, I just don't want help from others!

Any innovative or out-of-the box lure designs like yours are most welcome to discussion in here , ...no matter how weird they come :lol::yay: , ..........BobP has already answered your question , ...nothing to add to it , ....except , .........welcome at TU !

Still , ....some more thoughts of mine :

By chance your design might have still worked with a deep cupped Colorado Blade instead of this obviously French Blade , as these almost round Colorado blades stand away off the shaft at the biggest angle as they spin , around 75° to a bit more than 80° , I'd say , ..........probably not fouling with the lurebody's nose this way , but still the question remains , whether it would kick to get to spin at all , .........won't put my shirt on it :lol: !

Assembling the blade in a greater distance to the nose is absolutely foolproof , make sure to place enough small metal bearing beads underneath the blade's clevis and everything's gonna be fine .

Also your lure has to be heavy enough to sink at a reasonable rate , ...this is because any revolving spinnerblade does provide a certain amount of lift to a lure(round Colorado Blades the most vice versa the elongated and slender Willowleaf Blades generate the smallest amount of lift) .

So when the lift provided by the blade overcomes the sink rate of your lure body on retrieve , it will break through the surface sooner or later , the vortex causing the blade to work will be interrupted and it will fail to spin at this point .

If your lure should not be fairly heavy enough you can only encounter this problem with a slower retrieve pace or the assembly of a smaller or more slender blade ,.....and , .....as a last option , ......frequent pausing to allow the lure to drop back .

Good luck , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai