BJohnstone

D2t Is Not Clear, But A Bit Yellow...help?

I've been doing various experiments with Devcon 2-Ton, Amazing Clear Cast, and Dick Nite used as finish coats on my crankbaits.

The ACC and DN look great, but I really like the hardness and durability of the D2T, and I want to make it my default finish if possible, but the tests I have been running are on primed baits (primed with white paint) and I always notice that the D2T is not as clear as the others, it has a bit of a yellow tint to it. The yellow tint isn't really noticeable with colored paint, but very obvious over white.

I use syringes to measure, small plastic mixing cups and plastic bristle brushes. I also mix in a few drops of DA to help with bubbles.

Am I doing something wrong or is that the natural color of the epoxy when cured? Or could it be that it's old?

Any help would be great!

Thanks Ben,

I noticed that, but the ACC seems to be really clear. Do you know if you can mix hardeners from one epoxy with another to clear up the finished product a bit?

Sorry. Can't help you with that one. If I were going to run the test you described I'd do it on something other than a bait I'd spent a lot of time on. That way if it doesn't work you will only have lost a little epoxy and a few minutes of time.

Edited by RayburnGuy

I talked to a guy at System 3 a while back about their hardener yellowing with age. He said that it was common in a lot of two part finishes. His suggestion was to use one of their other products that was more UV resistant. D2T has no UV resistance and will yellow with time.

Although I haven't tried it yet to know... I would imagine Solarez would be fairly bombproof as far a yellowing is concerned... The ACC I use hasn't shown any signs of yellowing but I have only been using it not quite a year yet.... My test piece has been outside in all sorts of weather and is as good as the day I poured it for what that's worth....

I have been using d2t and i wasnt thinning it down and brushing it on thick since i didnt have a turner. Well finally made me a turner and so i was messing around with it and wanted to test the turner so i took some d2t and thinned it down with some da. That is when i noticed the yellowish tint. Maybe it was me just now noticing it but do you guys think it had something to do with the da? I dont know just a thought.