davemyway

Quick Swimbait

i have been playing with a easy way to make a swimbait and i thought i would share with u guys ...

bth_1352937046834.jpg?t=1352938431 start buy cutting a patern out if card stock paper

bth_1352937046502.jpg?t=1352938430 then copy the pattern onto pvc board and cut it out with a scroll saw

bth_1352937044441.jpg?t=1352938430

sand it smooth, cut it into sections but let the first joint be the longests, sand the begining of the second and third jiont to a 45. add screw eyes and cut notches to allow free movement .connect the eyes with a piece of wire

bth_1352937045385.jpg?t=1352938428

paint then clear .

i know i left alot out but this is a rough idea on how i made some 5'' swimbaits

they swim great !

if anybody has a way i can improve my process let me know . im a jig and spinnerbait guy. this is new to me ..

Great looking bait!

The only thing I might suggest is purely cosmetic.

I angle the joint cuts on my swimbaits, so the eye is somewhat concealed in the V of the joint.

I still round off the pin face of the joints, but I leave the eye section as a V.

And I pocket the eye sockets in my pin section instead of making a thru slot.

You can try drilling a hole in the rounded face of the pin section where the eye will hit, oval it a little to allow play for the hinge, and it will conceal the eye a little, and keep the eye cut confined to the rounded joint section, without extending back into the flat face of the bait.

As I said, it's a cosmetic detail, and not at all critical to your bait working, as it looks like it does already.

Congratulations.

P.S. One functional thing you might want to try is beveling your bait's profile, so it's thinner at the belly than at the back. I found that allows me to burn my baits at any speed without them rolling.

My baits typically go from 7/8" at the back to 5/8" at the belly, with the taper starting down 1/3 from the back. It's not exact, but it eliminates rolling.

Edited by mark poulson

Ed,

I use three different tails.

I pour my own soft plastic tails, or buy them from Capt. Sully.

They screw onto a wire spring I epoxy into the back of the tail section.

I also make harder tails out of clear plastic sheet, like the tops for margarine tubs, and glue them into a slot in the tail section.

Last, for little two and three piece baits I make tails from Plano dividers, and attach them with split rings to the last section.

The soft plastic tails are the most subtle and life-like.

The others are more for action presentations.

Ed,

When I use either the plano dividers or the margarine tops for tail, I sand it to simulate fin lines, and then color with a sharpie or two.

For the soft plastic tails, I wound up making a two part POP mold and pour my own now, so color is no problem if I use a light color or clear, and flake.

I tried coloring details and rays onto my soft plastic tails with sharpies, and found that the color bled and eventually became blended together. I still do it, but only lightly.

May I suggest doing a search in the Hardbait section of this TU board usin PVC as keyword.  You should find Numerous threads about PVC boards, sources of boards and advice on using PVC for cranks and swimbaits.  Should help you get started on using this material.