sammy01007

Alumilite Regular

I have been messing around with a 2 part mold for a large 9 inch swimbait. I started using Smooth-On product, but had serious bubble issues. I also tried Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast, filling one half of the mold, allowing it to degas for 30 minutes, then applying the second half of the mold. The excess casting material oozed out of the vent ports. this worked excellent, but the tensile strength of the material is very low, when compared to other casting materials.

I wanted to try Alumilite regular, but unfortunately when I went to the local Hobby Lobby, they last bottle in stock was already gone. I went to the Hobby Lobby online store, and can't find it there either. maybe they are no longer carrying the product. Which is unfortunate because of the 40% discount coupon they offer.

So, my question is, will I have the same bubble issues with a fast drying resin like Alumilite regular as I did with the Smooth-On product? Does anyone know of another hard resin i could use, that has a slow cure time that would allow me to degas the resin as described above? Or, do I just need to keep playing with my mold until i find a way that allows all the gas to escape?

Thanks-

Call smooth on directly they have many differant formulas. I am sure you can get the answers you need. If you are lucky they might even have a local distributor that stocks all there products in all the differant sizes. I went to a distributor last week and left with great answers and a handful of finished sample disks.

http://www.smooth-on.com/

Good luck

Hobby Lobby usually re-stalks in less then a week.  I expect that they have the Alumilite Regular back in stalk already.

I prefer the Alumilite White but Hobby Lobby does not carry it at my stores.  The Alumilite Regular is pretty good about degassing on its own.  As long as you have some air holes to allow the air to excape, you can pour even your largest bait in the Alumilite Regular without degassing.  I am attaching a link so you can check out the properties compared to other materials.

http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=CastingResins

The amazing clear cast is not a structural resin.  It works pretty good as a top coat, it works pretty good for craft casting, but it is not a good lure forming material.

Thanks for the info guys,

I emailed Alumilite asking if there were venders in the central Jersey area. I recieved a reply equivalent to "Yes". Not exactly the deapth of info I was looking for. I order some small quanities online from Amizon when I could get free shipping, but eventualy bit the bullet and bought the 2 gal kit.

Hobby Lobby still has not re-stalked the Alumilite regular. Actually it seems as if they are phasing Alumilite products out completely!

I do like the Alumilite regualr over the Smooth-On resin, but I preffer the Smoth-On Oomoo 30 over Alumilites silicon RTV.