Nu2Cal

Stripping A Rod To The Graphite Blank.

I have a 7'10" heavy rod that I would like to strip down to the graphite blank and rebuild, and I would like to know if anyone has any advice on the best way to go about this. My primary concern is stripping off the flexcoat that is running the length of the rod.

Joe

First, I carefully removed the guide wraps and guides using a single edged razor. I then used the angled side of the razor and gently scrapped the finish off the blank. There was only paint on most of the blank, with about ten inches of epoxy near the reel seat. I am now using a 600 grit sand paper to clean up the blank. When that is complete I will apply some carnauba wax to the graphite. I am not sure how this will turn out, but I'll let you know either way when I finish.

Joe

I once did this with a Lamiglas fly rod in the S Glass family. Basically the same approach except instead of wax I used a flexible spray on urethane I found. Don't recall the brand at all, it has held up for many years and the rod looked new when complete.

I think the wax idea might have real merit as it can be rejuvenated whenever you feel like it, probably involves the least amount of added weight (not much of an issue anyway) and minor scratches etc can be treated anytime you need to.

On another subject, I finished a guitar I built with wax when typically a harder chemical like laquer is the norm. Same sort of result, easy repair and rejuvenation. I think sometimes we look for these so called "permanent" and "easy" ways to finish and protect things like rod blanks and lures or guitar bodies or furniture only to find that down the road they contribute to the temporary, throw away mentality that is so common. Simple old finishes like wax, added on occasion to maintain protection work just as well and allow us to extend the life and beauty of these things without the headache of stripping the whole item raw.

Hey it's a green solution as well. Less crap in the land fill as well as less chemicals used. Double bonus.