vabassen02

How To Get The Black Scale Pattern?

I gave up on trying to make details that fine with an air brush.

I use a solvent based Sharpie with a fine tip for lines and gill accents. It works great for dots and squiggles on the back and sides of my crappie lures, too.

The black isn't affected by my urethane top coat, but the red and chartreuse tend to run a little. I heat set the sharpies, and I kind of like the bleeding effect of the running red. It's not much.

It depends what color you are trying to use and make pop IMO. Black is a good base color, and using a color that contrast really makes the scale pattern pop out. Not sure what your exact question is but i use a netting that has bigger holes than fine mesh and i really like the look of it. here is a sample of reference to show what i do, black base, place the netting over and gator clip the netting as tight as possible, and then i use a semi opaque white over the top and try not to overpaint with the white. Hope this helps!

542603_140236012790201_1279459982_n.jpg

Edited by Basshand

Ben,

Have you tried spraying your netting with spray adhesive? Spray the netting and let it dry. Then press it against your lure and paint. It doesn't shift or lift and removes nicely with out lifting your paint. It also seals the the edges of the netting to prevent the paint from bleeding under the netting.

Gene

Do you have any trouble with the adhesive smearing when you tighten the netting down to the bait ? Edited by Hokieangler