FolsomFishing

Removing Paint From Hard Plastics

Dot 3 brake fluid. Do a search. I've discussed this a few years ago. I've tried it. It works. It doesn't weaken the plastic at all but it will discolor the lip.

It is messy though. Unless you have some intricate embossed pattern on your lure that you want to save or that you think sanding would ruin it, use brake fluid.

Personally, I haven't had to repaint lures that have scale patterns but if I did I would definetely use it.

Now I just wet sand with 80grit and finish off with 200.

s54

The model train guys use brake fluid to strip off old paint for refinishing. I have tried the brake fluid and yes it does work but depending upon the type of plastic used by the manufacturer of the hard bait some will show cracking in the plastic. I have a system that I use now that I can strip Megabass, Lucky craft, Team Daiwa, Jackall,Spro,Duel, Yozuri and a few other manufacturers paint right down to clear plastic without ill effects to the plastic. Sorry but all I can tell you is it is a combinations of a soak in a acid then a base and then a solvent. I got the system from a well known Japanese repaint artist and I had to sign a confidentiality agreement with a no complete clause. I will post some pics when I get home tonight to show the quality of the treatment.Picture as promised

strippedbaitsall.jpg

The model train guys use brake fluid to strip off old paint for refinishing. I have tried the brake fluid and yes it does work but depending upon the type of plastic used by the manufacturer of the hard bait some will show cracking in the plastic. I have a system that I use now that I can strip Megabass, Lucky craft, Team Daiwa, Jackall,Spro,Duel, Yozuri and a few other manufacturers paint right down to clear plastic without ill effects to the plastic. Sorry but all I can tell you is it is a combinations of a soak in a acid then a base and then a solvent. I got the system from a well known Japanese repaint artist and I had to sign a confidentiality agreement with a no complete clause. I will post some pics when I get home tonight to show the quality of the treatment.Picture as promised

strippedbaitsall.jpg

Don't post it if all your going to do is tease us...... :flame: LOL