davey

Mcmaster - Carr Wire

JMHO, there's just no reason to go with the higher priced 316, 410, etc. I'm very happy using the soft temper "bend and stay" 304. It's plenty strong enough for bass baits and makes it easy to form screw eyes and thru-wire frames. It also allows the user to tune a crankbait more easily and there is less chance of breaking the finish on the nose of shallow baits. I use the .041" diameter on 90% of my baits, reducing size to .032" for very small crankbaits.

I've been using the .032 wire on all my cranks with no problem so far. The .041 that Bob uses would make the line tie more rigid so it would require less tuning to keep the lure tracking straight and true. When I first started building lures the .032 is just what I started with not really knowing any better, but it hasn't caused any problems thus far so I've just stayed with it. Also when you start going to some of the higher alloy types of stainless they can tend to get a bit brittle. Especially after the bending that is required to make hook hangers and line ties. Bending movements tend to "work harden" some metals which will make them even more brittle and prone to breaking.

Just my :twocents:

Ben