Hokieangler

Repaints

Had a pretty frustrating night! Tried to pop the eyes out of strike king 2.5 and butchered the eye cavities! Curious if anyone else has a solution to getting the eyes out other than a hobby knife! I'm sorry that I didn't state that previously ! I mangled the 2.5 .I appreciate your responses ,solutions and any others comments!

I remove the paint on my repaint lures by hand, so I can save the eyes if I want to.

If you use a blast cabinet, I doubt they are savable.

If you are doing it by hand, and you're worried about messing up the bait, use the blue tape disc method.

Cut a small piece of blue painters tape that will cover the eye completely, press it down over the eye and use something with a dull tip to press it into the little gap around the eye. If the eye is big enough, I use my fingernail.

For smaller eyes, I use a fine older screwdriver with a rounded edge, not a sharp edge. After I've got it pressed into the gap really well, I use an exacto knife to trace the perimeter a few time.

Keep going around the perimeter with the blade, and it will cut the tape. That blue tape is not that strong. You will be able to lift off the excess and have the eye covered.

The tape is easy to remove after you've finished your painting. Just go slow.

I do that when I am worried that the eye is on too tightly, or it's an eye that I like and can't duplicate.

Thanks guys! This particular bait the eyes were hard! I couldn't even get the top to separate from the bottom exposing the pupil ! I like all of our ideas and will employ them! Gonna try a different bait tonight and put this one on back burner! I will post the finished 2.5 in the gallery in a couple days! Thanks again!

P.S

What do you think about using a dremel with an engraving bit to get the hard to extract eyes out?

What do you think about using a dremel with an engraving bit to get the hard to extract eyes out?

I would try a brad point bit in a variable speed drill. The variable speed drill will turn much slower than a Dremel and should offer more control. The brad point bit has a centered spur to keep the bit from wandering so this should help as well. If the point of the bit goes a little deep and makes a hole in the body it would be easily fixed with with a drop of glue when the eyes are added back to the bait.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1