Lngnokr71

Handmade Lure Eyes

Just exactly what are you using to make the eyes. Epoxy? What type- 5min, 20 or 30 minute?

I don't build my own eyes but build fishing rods and one of the issues for finishing rod wraps is bubbles. For the most part it's technique. Basically to minimize bubbles is to use a slower cure epoxy and mix to EXACT ratio specified by manufacturer. When mixing don't stir rapidly to introduce more bubbles. Use a solid plastic rod or stick not wooden so as not introduce a rough surface item into epoxy to create small bubbles. I pour the epoxy out onto a piece of aluminum foil so the mixed epoxy can flow out into a puddle to let any bubbles rise to surface and burst out. Also you can blow onto the epoxy puddle thru a soda straw and the heat of your breath will break the bubbles. Some will use a heat source such as a hair dryer to lightly (I mean lightly not direct blow onto the puddle) to break away bubbles. That leaves you with virtually bubble free epoxy. The heat will change the viscosity to be thinner allowing bubbles to rise. The cure is a chemical process so lightly heating should not speed up cure. Only excessive heating. I suggest you think about the tool you use to transfer the epoxy to the eye. Does it possibly introduce bubble. Also consider how to manipulate the epoxy onto the eye or form for the eye. The more you work it the more likely chance to introducing bubbles.

Check out some UV cure resins on internet for other options. Saw somewhere a guy who used hot glue (clear) stick to make eyes.

Lngnokr,

If you figure this out please let me know. I have been struggling with the same problem, I have tried using Amazing Clear and Envirotex Lite. I keep getting bubble as well. Two things I have not tried, but been meaning to is

1. Add a little denatured alcohol to the epoxy to thin it out, and maybe make it easier for the bubbles to release.

2.Preheat the mold in the oven. Although I have tried heating the epoxy with a hair dryer, thought maybe heating the mold itself would have a positive effect.

Have you had any experience trying either of these? If I make any progress I will let you know.

i personally use 10 minute epoxy, you could try to get rid of the bobbles by hearing the epoxy with a heat gun or just stir the mixture very very slowly but still making sure it mixes, that's what i do now a days and i get hardly any bobbles, Envirotex and casting resins wont work here if your no using a mold. also if you have access to a pressure pot you can always collapse the bobbles under pressure, those things tend to be rather expensive and "normal" lure builders usually don't have them.

Edited by solarfall

I tried adding a bit of denatured alcohol to the epoxy. I thinned it our quite a bit adding several drops to a very small amount of epoxy.

The result was far fewer bubbles, but larger ones. The epoxy dried crystal clear. So I may play around with this. I did not add any heat. Simpley mixed the epoxy, added DA, mixed again, and poured.

I am going to Hobby Lobby friday, if I can find some crystal clear hot gun glue, I may give that a shot as EdL commented on.