TristateBassmaster

Balsa wood cranks - scales

I have a couple questions about making balsa wood crankbaits. I glue foil to the wood and paint the bottom and top. What do you use to make the scale pattern in the foil once it is glued? I have tried a file but am unhappy with the results.

What do you think Tbait uses?

http://www.tackleunderground.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=41

Second, I just spray paint my lures because I don't have the money for a air brush setup(and i only make 2-3 at a time). But spray paint cans produce a paint stream (coverage) that is too wide. I could just mask off the area but I like the fade on the paint because it looks more realistic. Can you give me any tips to correct this?

I'm not sure what was used on the bait you refered to, but I have used a metal contour guage and the finish was very close to what you are looking for. Just use it like a comb and apply light pressure moving from the top of the bait down the side to the bottom. As you move down the side, move the guage side to side and it will create the wave effect. As far as painting with cans, if you mask the area to be painted leaving the edge of the tape up just a little, the overspray will go under the tape edge giving it a softer edge. Good Luck, Joe