Fishr13

Anyone Make A Standup Football Jig Mold?

You either have to modify an existing mold or get one custom made. If you don't mind me asking, why in the world would you want a standup football jig? I ask not to be smart but I'd like to know if there is an advantage because it would kind of defeat the purpose of a football jig, which is so you can drag it over rocks and still keep the hook in the upright position. I know that a football shakey is supposed to be for bigger plastics to fish on a shakey head so I can see why it would have a flat spot but not a regular one. BTW, I did an experiment on the water a couple of years back testing out shakey jigs and what we found is that when you use a floating worm the best shakey head for a stand up presentation is a round head. We tested the round head shakey againg spot remover jigs for about 2 hours with different sizes and different baits and unless the spot removers flat bottom landed in sediment it would hit a rock and fall on its side until picked up were as the round head would get lifted by the floating worm untill you got to heavier weights with bigger hooks but the whole thing was seeing if the flat bottoms really worked in a lake without a perfecly flat bottom without gravel like the fish tank we see them used in. I will admit they do stand but only in sediment and what I didn't like was if it fell over, even a light weight couldn't get picked up with a floating worm because the flat spot created an edge that required more fore to right it than what the worm could provide so it tended to stay on its side until you picked it up. That is just me but I'm curios to hear what you plan to do with that type of jig.

I'll be honest, I was planning on doing some research as it seems you already have. I'm new to the forum and tackle making in general. I've painted cranks for about a year now and got hooked (pun) on catching my personal best on something I made. I tend to loose a lot of jigs and figured making them may be another fun practice. I've seen this type of jig being sold and thought it might give the most stable vertical presentation without being a traditional shaky head (gotta have the skirt). I also reasoned that a larger trailer slid up the hook on a stand-up football jig would be temporarily raised to the vertical position before settling instead of simply being scooted across the bottom with a standard football. Thoughts?

I'll be honest, I was planning on doing some research as it seems you already have. I'm new to the forum and tackle making in general. I've painted cranks for about a year now and got hooked (pun) on catching my personal best on something I made. I tend to loose a lot of jigs and figured making them may be another fun practice. I've seen this type of jig being sold and thought it might give the most stable vertical presentation without being a traditional shaky head (gotta have the skirt). I also reasoned that a larger trailer slid up the hook on a stand-up football jig would be temporarily raised to the vertical position before settling instead of simply being scooted across the bottom with a standard football. Thoughts?

I forgot myself in the first post, I should have said what I'm going to say now...Welcome to the board!! You are correct in that you will like making your own jigs and I understand exactly what you want to do and it is obvious you thought about it but unles you have a floating plastic bait it won't matter but based on what you told me I know exactly what mold you want. What you want is a football jig that uses a 60 degree flat eye hook, the reason is that type of hook has a different pull point on the line tie. Whe your jig hits bottom the trailer it up like you want and it settles down, now with the 60 degree flat eye hook, when you just put a little tension on the line, any little resistance on the bottom is going to stop the jig for a bit and the pull point is going to force the bait into a standing postion. A 90 degree line tie tends to lift the entire head up but the 60 degree wants to pull the head forward if that makes sense to you, a flat bottom hhead is going to grab which is why I wouldn't use a flat headed head for anything other than a shakey head or a flipping jig.

I've always wondered the same, why a flat spot on the mold? I think it's mainly a marketing ploy as you can get the same effect by utilizing a different degree hook, i.e., 30-45 or 60 degree jig hooks. The 60-degree creates the exact same presentation that the so-called flat spot does but better, depending on the hook eye (of course). Just my two-cents worth.

The stand up football jig puts the crayfish bait in a fighting position when it settles. The couple I have seen done that way have more than a flat spot. They actually fold it back under much like a folded crawdad tail when it folds back.

That's my 0.02 for what it's worth.

Here is the best video that I found

Tony

You either have to modify an existing mold or get one custom made. If you don't mind me asking, why in the world would you want a standup football jig? I ask not to be smart but I'd like to know if there is an advantage because it would kind of defeat the purpose of a football jig, which is so you can drag it over rocks and still keep the hook in the upright position.

With all due respect, I had 4 different custom,stand-up football -CNC lead molds made. They positively do not defeat the purpose of a football jig. Different weights and hooks will float specific baits- that 's why one size doesn't fit all. Custom molds are worth it ,providing you have the testing behind the design you desire.and are willing to pay for them.I personally prefer heads that raise the bait 45 degrees above the bottom. I am not going to post the video links to my website but they are availible for those willing to search for them. Conjecture and dock talk is a pure waste of time. Take a couple of your football jigs and grind them flat on the bottom w/ various angles- then test them w/ different hooks, sizes and floating plastic baits. Custom molds just don't fall from the sky - they are created by those willing to spend time, $ and frustration to really find out what works .

Put 1 foot of water in your bathtub w/some types of various structure to start your testing.,then graduate to an aquarium that has natural,slated river rocks w/ mixed bottom substrate.Walk your creations up the side of a rock and stop the jig- let it fall down the side and watch exactly what happens.

Edited by smallmouthaholic

In a bathtub or an aquarium, a stand up head will work, on a lake or river bottom with rocks and sediment the stand up head doesn't work. Smallmouthaholic, I respect what you're saying but I spent a total of 11 hours testing this stuff, 3 hours on the Susquehanna river, 3 hours on the Juniata river, 2 hours on Blue Marsh lake and 3 hours on Tuscarora lake trying exactly 14 different shakey heads and stand up jigs with various mass produced and hand poured plastic baits. In the river when we dropped them in 3' of water with current we didn't get a single head to stand up until we hit 1/2oz, you fished rivers enough to know that a 1/2oz jighead will last no more than 2 cast on a rocky river before it gets wedged in rock. The only place we got stand up heads to stand up was on pea gravel flats in water less than 4' and in the lakes the only place stand up heads stood up was in heavy sediment. I was ready to invest a lot of money in a few stand up designs so I spent a lot of time trying these out and the best head of all was a simple round head, if you put a floating type plastic on the round head it would right itself evey time. Now, I will say that at initial fall the staqnd up heads were steanding up but so was every other head, and yes, if you happen to be working the bait across a flat with nothing on the bottom then it will stand up fine but I doubt any fish will be in thoses spots. I make sure I put the time in when looking at a new bait, I spent over 2 years to get my spinnerbaits dialed in so I knew what I wanted in a mold and I was able to get 90% of what I wanted in an existing mold so I only had to have a machine shop do some easy modification but the point is I, like you, don't get into any lure type lightly if I'm considering making them and for me it isn't about the sale, it is about performance as I want to win tournaments, not just place and for me I found that stand up heads catch a lot of fishermen as they work fantastic in a controlled enviroment.

Just to put in my 2 cents worth, and with what little testintg I did, I am not a proponent of stand-up jigs at all. The reason being is the same thing Smalljaw said. Everything works fine in a controlled environment with no currents, no rocky structure, no tree braches or anything else littering our lake bottoms. People always use the aquarium example in sports shows to show how a stand up jig works so great. OK I'll bite, how deep is a10 gal aquarium 14-16" max with gravel. Also they use a little stick with line attached to it jigging the jig vertically. Well that's all fine how many of us fish in an aquarium under those perfect conditions? With that said, you add current in a 10 gal. aquarium and your stand up jig will topple over, if it even gets to stand up at all when it drops to the bottom. You go to a lake and you cast out in 8 FOW, I will bet your weeks paycheck, that by the time that jig falls down and hits bottom it will be on its side. Even if you cast out and the jig falls on a slack line, what are the odds of it standing up 100% of the time? So, I don't buy all the stand-up jig hype. JMPO. It's funny but I sell a lot of (supposedly) stand-up jigs. Why do I do this since I don't believe it? Well because it's like everything else in life, if someone has to have, I provide a service. I also tell all these people that buy my stand-up jigs, that in reality they really don't work as well or at all and I try to sway them away from them. But marketing and sponsored Mr. Superfisherman says they work so I guess it has to be. Many guys don't even have the common sense to put on a floating bait on a stand-up jig and many people selling stand up jigs don't tell their customers that it should be used with a floating plastic bait. Also a heavier stand up jig would need a platic bait that has more buoyancy to raise the jig in theory. So where is all this info from manufacturers selling their product. None that I see anywhere. Anyway not to offend anyone here this is just my take on it, whether you agree or disagree.

Also no I don't use stand-up jigs and I won't use them in my fishing exploits. For those that use them and tyhey work for you that is really all that matters right?

Edited by cadman

Gentlemen,

Believe what you what. My custom designs have been toroughly tested and PROVEN! in the Susquehanna & Juniata rivers. Bass consistently come in w/ the hook centered in the roof of the mouth which proves my point. It's rather obvious you've never tested any of mine but that's ok. I could go into much more intimate detail concerning head design,hook sizes , rock guards and weights but will choose to bow out gracefully and not educate those adamant in their inaccurate convictions.

BTW- I make specific jig recomendations for the custom soft-baits that are compatable for my custom stand-up jigs. jigs.

Small jaw- your statement that stand-up jigs don't work in a lake or river bottom w/sediment and rocks is so incorrect it's laughable.

Cadman- I've read many of your post here @ T.U. and always respected your knowledge. That said ,when you make statements like this-

"So, I don't buy all the stand-up jig hype. JMPO. It's funny but I sell a lot of (supposedly) stand-up jigs. Why do I do this since I don't believe it? Well because it's like everything else in life, if someone has to have, I provide a service. I also tell all these people that buy my stand-up jigs, that in reality they really don't work as well or at all and I try to sway them away from them. But marketing and sponsored Mr. Superfisherman says they work so I guess it has to be."

You're dislaying you lack of complete knowledge concerning CUSTOM stand-up jigs used w/specific, custom floating baits. I'm really surprise that you would even make the afoementioned statement. I'll stay out of your future jig discussions and let you continue your reign as the jig expert here on T.U. using stock Do-it molds.

Gentlemen,

Believe what you what. My custom designs have been toroughly tested and PROVEN! in the Susquehanna & Juniata rivers. Bass consistently come in w/ the hook centered in the roof of the mouth which proves my point. It's rather obvious you've never tested any of mine but that's ok. I could go into much more intimate detail concerning head design,hook sizes , rock guards and weights but will choose to bow out gracefully and not educate those adamant in their inaccurate convictions.

BTW- I make specific jig recomendations for the custom soft-baits that are compatable for my custom stand-up jigs. jigs.

Small jaw- your statement that stand-up jigs don't work in a lake or river bottom w/sediment and rocks is so incorrect it's laughable.

Cadman- I've read many of your post here @ T.U. and always respected your knowledge. That said ,when you make statements like this-

"So, I don't buy all the stand-up jig hype. JMPO. It's funny but I sell a lot of (supposedly) stand-up jigs. Why do I do this since I don't believe it? Well because it's like everything else in life, if someone has to have, I provide a service. I also tell all these people that buy my stand-up jigs, that in reality they really don't work as well or at all and I try to sway them away from them. But marketing and sponsored Mr. Superfisherman says they work so I guess it has to be."

You're dislaying you lack of complete knowledge concerning CUSTOM stand-up jigs used w/specific, custom floating baits. I'm really surprise that you would even make the afoementioned statement. I'll stay out of your future jig discussions and let you continue your reign as the jig expert here on T.U. using stock Do-it molds.

I don't doubt all the testing you've done, and I'm sure your testing is thorough. I also don't doubt that you catch fish with what your molds produce for you. I am not saying what you produce is not correct. My basis is on molds that I've poured or customized in the past or stand-up jigs that I've bought at the store. None of them worked for me the way they are supposed to. So you may be correct that I do not have all the knowledge that you have in a custom mold and your testing. Until someone can take me on a lake or river system and physically show me that this works all the time, I am not convinced. I try to be open minded and give my honest opinion of what I know. You maybe 100% correct with your system. I don't wish to argue the facts, we can all agree to disagree. We all have our own opinions of what we have seen or what we have to work with.

Also that is an unfair statement about me reigning as a jig expert. I never made that claim and don't to this day, there are a lot of things I don't know. Like when I mentioned in my post "with what little testing I did". Also I never claimed to be a custom mold expert. Yes all of my molds are Do-it molds stock or modified. You can make a point just like anyone else, whether it is correct or not. You don't see me making comments about yourself or others on this forum. If I'm wrong fine, we all have a right to speak and say what we want, whether others want to agree with our thought process or not. To each his own.

Edited by cadman

Why did you have to insult Cadman and myself with your last post? My testing maybe laughable but you know what, I come here to help people learn how to make tackle, not to tell someone to go to a website and look at my stuff.... Everything you do involves your business and as for stock do it molds, that is what most here use so if you are only concerned for CUSTOM MOLDS then go else where and peddle your papers. I have had 2 custom molds made, and not for design purposes but hook reasons because truth be told Do-it has some great designs, take the poisin tail, it is probable the most copied design on the market. Cadman was only expressing what he believed as I was the one that had the testing behind my statement and I stand by it. I have recorded 64 fish on my new finesse jig this year, all of fish caught were hooked in the roof of the mouth, for someone as skilled as yourself to use fish hooked in the roof of the mouth as proff your head stands up is laughable. You can have all the knowlege in the world about jigs but it means nothing if you don't know about the fish and how they feed, you have no idea that the jig is standing up on the bottom because for all you know it could have been on its side and when the fish inhaled, yes inhaled as that is how they take prey off the bottom, when the fish did that it may have turned and that is how the fish got it in the roof of the mouth. My point isn't to argue about stand up design, my point was to tell someone that wanted a stand up mold that maybe he would be better off getting a football jig mold stock rather than a custom mold as I know for a fact that the stock mold that Buckeye lures, Jewel bait company as well as Picasso lures, use doesn't work as those are all the companies who I got stand up jigs from and tested. If guys are looking for custom made molds they ask for mold makers, not if there is an existing mold and guys that do this for themselves rarely use custom molds. Insult me all you want, leave Cadman out of it, and to say anything about him shows what kind of a person you are as he has helped more people with making tackle than anyone I know of but I guess that is what it comes down to, he and I help people, you try to make a buck off them.

Let's agree to disagree. No question Cadman helps folks here but he also sells jigs.Motive within a motive?? I just object to those who make blanket posts about a subject they know little about but pretend to know all. i sell nothing here on Tackle UnderGround nor care to do so- but I will back up my claims concerning stand-up jigs- that is the only reason i suggest looking @ videos on my site to substansiate credibility. Stock molds have their limitations so admit it and stand corrected. It's pointless to contiue this-

I wish you and your family a joyous and healthy holiday season.

Whew, sure am glad no one got on me about the 60-degree post I made, which I still think is the answer (by the way) as speaking from a purely mathmatical standpoint it only makes sense that it's the angle of force that propels the response to the end-tie. I could use a bunch of fancy math/physics terms but that would defeat the purpose. Again, not taking sides but to me, it's all about the angle of the dangle.

Edited by gonfishn

gonfishin-

90 degree hooks will work also -BUT the soft-bait must float the hook . You can take the same stand-up design and use he same hook- 1 heavy wire, 1 light wire and the exact same (identical) soft -bait. The light wire hook will work and the heavy wire will not. Thay said, move up one size w/ a light wire hooks and the stand up head may not work and lay on it's side w/ the same soft bait.

A great deal of trial and error is required to complete the marriage between a stand-up jig head and a floating soft-bait.Again,soft-baits will not float w/ salt in them and all plastisol do not float the same.. Metal flake glitter will add weight to a soft-bait also.

Shawn Collins made my 1st custom ,CNC stand-up football jig 5 years ago w/ dual wire guard capabilities

Edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic

I saw where do-it molds was making a flat bottomed football mold for 2013,it is designed for the trokar hooks,which are very expensive. I forgot if it was a weedless design or a screw lock,I beleive it was a screw lock. Most of there 2013 new molds are for trokar hooks,not saying that there won't be another hook that will work also,I feel like they will accomadate several defferent hooks. Like most other molds.

I'm perfectly happy with the regular football jigs myself,but different strokes for different folks.