Vodkaman

Bawal 12 �� Crankbait Construction

I designed this lure for a specific species of fish in a specific pond.

The fish – Bawal – is a chunky piranha type fish, with incredibly powerful, bone crushing jaws. They have relatively small mouths, so the lure had to be small. I had seen fish of 2Kg regularly caught and the odd specimen of 3Kg. I was told that there were 5Kg fish in the pond.

The pond – a manmade concrete pond, about 20m x 30m and 1.3m deep. Down the center is an aeration pipe, pouring streams of circulated water to provide oxygenation for the over stocked pond. Designed for intensive daily competition fishing for upto 30 anglers, though usually no more than 12.

No top coat was going to survive more than a couple of fish, so I decided to design the lure as a fast, easy, throw away solution. I wanted to be able to make 24 in a day, so time spent on each lure had to be limited to 15 minutes. So, at least for the prototypes, I sealed with CA glue and finished with a few dips in propionate.

Lure length 40mm with a single hook. The body curves were designed to match the curves of the belt sander and the lip design was straight lines, for easy shaping.

Because of the size of fish, small size of lure and light, balsa type wood, through wiring was essential. But, because of the time constraints, through wiring was not an option, so I had to come up with another idea.

I first swam the lure in the last five minutes of a competition, as I knew they would not like it. I swung it out to the center and let it settle for half a minute. I then jerked it about a meter to give it a good wiggle and bam! – it got slammed by a 3Kg bawal. They paid up the big fish prize, but the lure was immediately banned from future competitions.

The video shows the construction, including the through wire solution and a different approach to ballasting. The lure hunts, as do all my lures, but that was not important, as I only had 3 effective meters to work the lure. I never got around to making part 2 and now my tank is out of commission, so I don’t know when that is going to happen, as I am not doing so much building these days. I shot this video last April.

Hope you enjoy the video.

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you Dave for sharing the video of your newest lure and the many building techniques that went into it's construction.  Really enjoyed the show!!

Why did they outlaw your lure? is it their custom to outlaw all winners? 

The weighting of your lure is unusual or at least it's position is not the most common way I have seen positioned. Are there action advantages to having the ballast distributed in a  horizontal rather than the traditional horizontal? How does she sit in the water?

Good looking bait Dave. Congratulations on your build and victory.

Vic

Thank you Dave for sharing the video of your newest lure and the many building techniques that went into it's construction.  Really enjoyed the show!!

Why did they outlaw your lure? is it their custom to outlaw all winners? 

The weighting of your lure is unusual or at least it's position is not the most common way I have seen positioned. Are there action advantages to having the ballast distributed in a  horizontal rather than the traditional horizontal? How does she sit in the water?

Good looking bait Dave. Congratulations on your build and victory.

Vic

Thanks for your kind comments.

They are basically all fishing the same methods, legering, and using the same baits. For me, it is not a competition against other anglers, but a challenge to catch the fish.

I noticed the fish taking bait as it hit the water, so I used this and float fished - winner - banned.

Next, I used a weightless line, not far to throw anyway - winner - banned.

Bawal are basically a predator like bass, so I caught some fry and live baited - winner - banned.

Then the bawal12 lure - winner - banned.

There are no written rules. I am thinking that they just don't like the big, bald, white guy coming along and taking the money. Several of these guys are fishing professionally and rely on the money. Not my problem, they should step up their game.

I sat down with the owner and expressed my grievances and fishing principles. He said that I can use any bait as long as it sinks, is edible and the line has a 1/8oz lead weight. I have stopped fishing there now, until I develope an edible crank!

Regarding the attitude and action - it has a wide wiggle like any other decent crank, nothing unusual. Early on in the video, I show a still of the design page. Pause it and there is a view of the float attitude and the swim attitude, both on the same page.

Dave

Great design and nice video , Dave , thumbs up :yay: !

Haha , ....love your list-up of the banning reasons :lol: , similar happened to me at a local "put-and-take" trout pond years ago , ...the owner obviously did not know the differences between baits and lures , when I had asked him about the regulations .

But I guess , that you're right with your assumed cause about the big and bald European guy , .....I bet it's a new challenge for you now to fulfill the newly given conditions lurewise , ......maybe somekinda lure of meat,-or fish-flavored and hard-baked boilie dough in a crankbait shape , ..at least lasting for an hour or two to retain it's lure shape in the water :lol: !

Thanks for sharing , ...cheers , Dieter :yay:

I can almost hear the wheels turning in your head Dave. Crankbait shaped dough ball fished with a 1/8 oz. weight clipped on your line like a Carolina Rig. It might be time to break out the gelatin lures you were working on several months ago as well. Whatever you come up with I'm sure it will be a winner.

Ben

:lolhuh:  :lolhuh:  :lolhuh:

I guess they do ban winners ,at least in your special case. I suppose they said nothing about your methods until you won. Also find it strange, they paid despite your breaking their unspoken rules. Honest to a point, they are. They are making up new rules as you go along.  :lolhuh: Keep it up!! Sounds like a fun game. 

Once you get your edible crank worked out :? , one might consider recruiting a local to mentor. You could do the engineering and they could do the fishing for the money and split the profits....Fishing sponsor might be more appropriate. It might buy a few more wins before an outright ban. But then again, they will see right through the ruse. Who else would build an edible crankbait? :nuhuh: .........Yeah.. that is what i was thinking.... NOBODY............You have to do it now.... We are all behind you.  :tipsy: If by some strange chance, they do not ban your new bait . You have a ready made customer base right there. Sell everyone your newest winner to level the playing the field. Once that one plays out, come up with a new winner for everyone to buy. Might have to give the owner of the pond a piece of the action for that one to work. 

I am thinking frozen . Or sugar would take a while to dissolve and cheap and easy to work but I am sure your wheels are well ahead of us all. Good Luck in the fishing games. Please keep us informed on your exploits? Always enjoy!!!!

Vic

Great comments, thank you all.

Yes, an edible crank. As long as I can eat it in front of them, I win :?

Dave

But you would need to disassemble the hooks before :lol:  , ......was thinking about an "inline" bait to be rigged straight onto the line , anyway , ......maybe similar to a salmon trolling  plug .

cheers , Dieter :yay:

Don't termites eat wood?

They certainly do , Mark , ......but they're not catchable with timber lures , I guess ,  .....at least it's very hard to determine about the right moment for a hookset :?:lol:  !

Greetz :yay: , Dieter

Great video dave, as always

Congratulation on your 3kg bawal (red belly pacu), one of my  favorite fresh water species beside snakehead.

If im not mistakenly the fishing pond in your story is called "galatama pond", you pay the ticket and compete usually 1-2 hour per round, and typically the local angler compete for the money prize only, yes some kinda undercover gambling  :D The fish released back after weighting.

And the rule is using bait (boilie or dough) made from tapioca powder and food flavoring essence and you cant use floater or make the bait float, and lure is prohibited  :yes:

I have few angler buddy in bandung, and they are lure angler targeting for snakehead or bawal. I can introduce you to them, PM me if you interested.

Maybe get with the owner and sponsor a tournament, produce enough lures to give each entry fee 1 lure.  That might kick off a whole new trend for the competition, and make you the local hero ,hahaha.  Change can be a good thing and by donating a lure to each competitor could turn profitable in the future.

Java - yes, a similar type pond but located in Bandung. Quite a few of them around and targeting different species like carp or catfish. I like bawal, it is agressive and extremely strong. I have lost so many fish because of the teeth. I need to find a source for wire for making traces.

I tried lots of natural bait flavors, including garlic. I spoke to the owner and learned that the fry were fed on banana. Sure enough, it was a winner, banana flavored tapioka!

Thanks for the contacts offer. I may take you up on that if I start fishing again.

Dave