strahm

Question About Photo Finish Software

New guy here. I have made one photo finish bait, which turned out decent. I have done tons of searching, and have pretty much mastered the steps, of printing, glueing, etc. to the bait. the only thing i would like some help on is the software part. 

i have been using gimp 2 a free photo editor. 

does anyone have any tips, to make the photo fit the bait better?

a step by step guide of what you guys do would be perfect, even though i would have to manipulate my individual picture atleast i would have an idea of where to start. 

specifically i would like some tips on, making the picture fit the bait, and making the picture look more appealing rather than just blending together. 

Hi Strahm,

I haven't actuality photo finished a bait but I have done a lot of photo editing. I use photoshop which is a very expensive program which can be downloaded as a free trial. This program is complicated if your new to it so it would take some getting used to but it all allow you to scale your image up or down and edu just about every aspect of the image. If your no into that I would recommend a program named Picasa, it's free and very user friendly. just google free Picasa download and it should pop up. 

To make the image look better all depends on the starting image you'll really just have to play around with it to see what desired look your going for . Picasa is great if you just starting out because it gives you little thumbnail views of what it will look like if you click on that effect. It will also let you brighten, add contrast, crop along with many other filters who's intensity are adjustable. the only down side is that I don't think it will let you resizes the image. 

I've attached an image of the interface, good luck. If you have any question let me know and i'll try and answer them.

Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 9.30.27 AM.png

post-44683-0-46821800-1387387880_thumb.png

Edited by paustin1982

photo finishing a lure is where you get an image (pic) of a fish such as a shad or perch-both sides, manipulate it for size to fit on a lure body and then affix each side to the body.  Then you clear coat finish the lure.  Basically you are using a picture of a fish instead of having to paint it.  Suppose to be more realistic. Do an internet search as there are several how-to out there.

Husky has a tutorial in Hard Bait How To tutorial section here at TU on how to do it. I think he may have been the first at TU to start doing this.

You will need photo editing software to do this process. If the software has a "mirror" function then all you need is a picture of one side of the fish your going to use. When one side is printed you "mirror" the image and it will print a mirror image of the first picture when can then be used for the opposite side of the lure. This way you only have to manipulate one image to fit the lure your putting it on and it also insures you have two exact copies.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

With photo editing software you can make the image longer, shorter, fatter, skinnier, etc. Of course it's easier if you choose a picture whose shape is close to the shape of the bait you plan on putting it on. Trying to use the long and slender image of a minnow for a bait that's short and fat isn't going to be as easy as if you put it on a jerk bait.

Ben