pluraloffant

Air Compressor Tank Options

HI all,

Looking for some information on air compressors. I have it narrowed down to a california air tools small compressor.. There are two options both are a 1HP motor/pump but one has an aluminum storage tank while the other has a steel tank. My question is there a benefit to choosing a smaller aluminum storage tank vs a larger steel tank. It basically comes down to a 4.6 gal for the storage tank volume to go with aluminum. or a 6.3 to go with a steel tank. I know with the compressors at my work, the steel tanks rust inside when the condensation starts building up. Is the rust from a steel tank an issue with airbrushes?

I have the aluminum storage tank....the aluminum is a plus because it doesn't rust.  The 4.6 gallon takes up less space than the 6.3 and you can move it around easier...

I can base coat about 12 baits before the compressor comes on. It takes less than 2 minutes to refill tank and the noise level is about 63 decibels.... you can talk to someone standing right beside it with no problem.... I have had no problems with it and would replace it with the same one if i had to.....

Sorry for rambling on.....To each his on ...but i like the maintenance free aluminum....

Good luck.............ps read the reviews on the California  and compare it to the GMC.....They look like the same compressor...just a different name

I put a cup full of air compressor oil in my garage compressor tank before I began using it 30+ years ago, and the steel tank is still good.  I haven't drained it since I got it.  But I don't use it much, not like the compressors on the job that we beat to death, and drain every day.

I also live in SoCal, with relatively low humidity.

But adding oil into the tank before you begin using it will coat the inside with oil as the water level rises, since the oil floats on top, so it coats as it rises.

I have a big 60 gallon compressor..... I removed the little stock drain plug and installed a ball valve in it's place with a fitting that connects to a short run of aqaurium tubing pointed towards the drain in my basement..... after a real good day of use, I'll crack the ball valve open until it finishes spitting out any water in the tank and close it back up.... takes like 10 seconds to do so and I don't worry at all about what's building up inside.

J.