CedarLakeMusky

Brush Marks In Solarez Gloss Resin

I have been seeing what I think is brush marks in topcoat after curing. Lure looks fine before I add light to it. I am brushing on alittle thinner because I was having sagging issues before. I even rotate the lure awhile before I turn on the light. I am using an acid brush to coat the lure. Has anybody else ran into this problem? Maybe I am brushing on too thin now?

CLM

I haven't tried the Solarez yet, but have much better results with a natural hair artists brush when brushing epoxy. I tried the acid brushes and did not like the results at all. The artists brushes have many more bristles that are much finer than the acid brushes and give me a much smoother coating. As long as you thoroughly clean them after each use they will last for a long, long time.

Ben

I've got two different ones that I use depending on the size of the bait they're being used on. One is a 1/2" angled shading brush and the other is a 3/4" straight cut brush. The smaller angled brush is good on smaller baits. Especially when applying epoxy around the lip. The larger brush is used on the larger deep divers I build. Both ore natural fibered brushes. Sable I think. The natural bristled brushes seem to be softer than ones with man made fibers.

I've been using the same brushes for well over a year and they're still as soft as the day I got them. You just have to make sure to thoroughly clean them after each use. For cleaning epoxy out of them I use denatured alcohol. I'll dip the brush in the alcohol and then scrub it on a clean paper towel repeating until the brush feels clean. I'll then repeat the cleaning process using fresh, clean DA. The first alcohol will have some accumulated epoxy in it and can leave a small amount of epoxy in the brush. By scrubbing the brush a second time with clean alcohol I make sure there is no epoxy left in the brush. This may sound like overkill, but I learned the hard way that by not scrubbing the brush a second time in clean alcohol small amounts of epoxy were being left in the bristles and will build up over time ruining your brush.

As far as a specific brand of brush I really can't recommend one over another. I think any natural bristled brush will probably be fine. I got lucky and found some $40 brushes on a clearance sale at Michael's for less than $10. If anything isn't clear just holler back and I'll try again.

Hope this helps,

Ben