shade_skyhi

Attaching Screweyes,twisted Wire Or Wire Through

hello and a very merry early christmas to all..... blessings to you all been a while never had to much complaints about anything cause of your knowledge and kindness thank you all so much but I want to go outside the box and make crank baits and other things so im new on this most of my baits are topwater but I never gave much thought as to what direction of the grain  runs when i make a bait , which way  should the grain run to attach baits i hope im saying this right. Im sorry I am not good at typing. any tips or ideas i will keep searching but what is your way of thinking. I appreciate you all and have a great holiday.........al

The grain should run horizontal in the lure. In other words, from front to rear. Running the grain vertical will weaken the strength of the wood and could cause the wood to break under the stress of fighting a fish, getting hung up, or other situations.

Merry Christmas to you!

Gene

The grain should run horizontal in the lure. In other words, from front to rear. Running the grain vertical will weaken the strength of the wood and could cause the wood to break under the stress of fighting a fish, getting hung up, or other situations.

Merry Christmas to you!

Gene

thank you gene from one southeren country boy to another have a great weekend.....

@ shade_skyhi

I also make my timber lures in way so that the belly screw eyes would run about crosswise through the grain , ......front and rear eye shanks running under a little angle up,-or downward , if possible , ....not parallel to the lure's lengthwise center axis , ...also adds a certain amount of stability against pull-out , ...also belly eyes pointing a bit rearward are more stable against pull-out .

Also front and rear eyes running upward do provide more space for belly weights fore and aft , particulary important for sinking glidebaits sometimes .

I do extend the pilot holes at the entry to at least twice the shaft dia. , ...just a few millimetres deep , .....when I finally twist in the eyes with a drop of epoxy glue applied , a little "glue-plug" evolves in this bore extensions , also adding stability .

Good luck , diemai :yay:  

• Like 1