ipt

Keeping Injector Hot / Clogging Injector

ive been shooting in about 30-40 degree weather. how do you guys keep your injector hot? i will usually run the hot plastic through the injector a few times to heat it up, but it is so cold that sometimes it will harden inside of it before i can shoot it back out. ive tried using a heat gun but no luck there. i think people might use a griddle of some sort?

also on a side note, how big should the injector nozzle size be? i've drilled mine out to almost 1/4". maybe a bigger hole will help as well.

thanks!

I use a hot plate you can get one at the dollar stores for around $10.00. Pull the plunger back and lay it on the hot plate. My tip is about 3/16" keeping the injector warm will help you out.Squirt out what you have left after you inject, wipe the tip off pull the injector back and forth and blow out any waste mine will blow out a 1/2" wad. Pull the plunger back and lay on hot plate. Pull the plunger back will keep the oring from getting too hot. Don't turn hot plate up to high, injector just needs to be warm. A couple drops of worm oil in injector helps lube it. Cub48

• Like 1

I stand my injector up inside a steel connector from a hydraulic valve on a hotplate. The connector is about 1/2 the length of the injector. I insulated the top 1/2 of the injector by wrapping it with an old sock. Works like a charm. Any piece of metal tubing with an ID slightly larger than the OD of your injector will work. I keep a piece of foil in the hotplate drip pan to catch the drippings. I pour in 20-30 degree weather all winter and my injector NEVER clogs or gets plastic buildup inside. I find something else to do below 20.

This thread motivated me. My hydraulic fitting tips over on me occasionally if it's not centered on the burner right. So...I made a trip to Lowes after my last post. I picked up a 1 1/4" x 4" pipe nipple and floor flange. The nipple is a perfect fit for a medium injector, and the floor flange gives it a nice stable 4 1/4" base. Cost about $13.