Ryan k

Possible Sanding Tool

Just wondering if someone may have tried using a vibratory tumbler to sand their baits I have been thinking of giving it a shot but it is a fairly expensive gamble. Any one tried this And if so did it work well What type of media did you use? Thanks. Any help on this would be great

I made a tumbler out of a popcorn tin several years ago by lining the walls with sandpaper and attaching it to a rotisserie. I tumbled baits for several days and the results were less than satisfactory. However, I learned later that i needed to put "fins" on the wall (like on the inside of a clothes dryer) to help tumble the baits and to also add small pieces (1" x1") of sandpaper to sand the inside curves and other hard-to-reach areas. I never made the "upgrades" so I have no idea how well it would have worked.

Gene

It'll most likely work if you use the right media and don't overdo it.  Tumblers are capable of doing some really delicate work. If you're building in quantity, it may be well worth your while to do a little research before you decide. I'd talk to somebody at Lortone or Thumler about your needs and see what they say. Rio Grande, which specializes in jewelry components, tools, etc., has good descriptions of various types of media in their catalog. ($10 refundable last I knew)  I suspect a tumbler would do the job for you, but  I would avoid the cheap ones. Also, I wouldn't rule out the type of tumbler that turns on rods - that's what I use for metal lures, although with plastic media, there's no reason why it wouldn't work on plastic baits. You could probably build one, but you'd need a better motor than a rotisserie motor, (way too slow) and smooth-surfaced containers that are made out of something akin to semi-rigid rubber - by the time you added up the materials and labor involved, a homemade unit would probably cost more than a quality commercial unit.

http://www.riogrande.com/