ethan97

Seal Coat

6 posts in this topic

What do yall use for seal coats on your wood lures? I use DT2 but for some reason when they dry I get little sopts that arent covered after i brushed over them? Can yall please tell me whats going on?

Ethan, I also use D2T, thinned with a few drops of denatured alcohol.  I apply it with a fine-bristle brush and smooth it on fairly thick, making sure all areas actually get brushed and I am never brushing the lure with a dry brush.  It's more like pushing epoxy than than brushing it like paint.  Some say that you can cause those fish eyes if you have contaminated the wood surface with body oil, etc.  I've not had that problem since I put it on fairly thick.   

thanks for the advice! what do you use as a top coat on your lures? sorry for asking so many questions im new lol

I use D2T or dip lures in Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane.  There's also a UV cured finish product - Solarez UV - that has received a lot of press here on TU lately, but I haven't tried it yet.  The D2T is a "twofer" since you can use it for undercoating and topcoating.

Edited by BobP

I have heard about people using a finger nail polish hard coat or something along those lines. Is that soemthing you could use for a topcoat?

I seal my wood with super glue. I have used nail polish but it turns brown after a few months.

1 person likes this