Ripper

Top Water plug

Depends on alot of things like how small is this lure? Solidwood lures are going to need to be atleast 3.5" depending on the wood type in order to hold weight and float unless your going balsa, or cork. Wood isen't ballanced from the start so when you add weight > don't place it permenently till its ballaced. You should be able to roll the lure over and over and it should sit up right evertime and not lean. Sounds like your not experienced with all the adjustments it will take.I'm able to move my weights befor I set them.(we are talking split shot weights).

After you've checked your balance you would have centered your line for the screw eyes and this can all be done in a container of water thats only 2" longer than the lure.Get your balance befor the hooks are placed and if its centered correctly then the hooks will have lil effect and that will be fwd or rear weight problems NOT horizontal. This will demenstrate what OUT2LLunge suggested. It all starts (ballance) befor the hardware is added.