crzyjunyer

Smith Wildlife Flip Flop Paints

i just recently puchased some of these paints and was wondering how many of yall out there use them some and if there was any tips/tricks to getting the most out of them. They should be in for me to play and experiment with tomorow. I searched on them some but wasnt able to find much info but that some use them. The most recent post i could find on it was from 2010. The colors i got was white/purple, white/blue, and white/green. The look im hoping for is a white look straight on and the color shift when turned and veiwed at angles. I have seen this look on store bought lures and want to try and replicate it myself.

yea - im hoping to play with them some tonite when they arrive on some of my "practice" blanks and repaints.

In your experience have you had any trouble with mixing those paints and auto air? Not direct mixing before paint but in using a layer of smith paint over an auto air base and/or auto air over smith paints, after a cure/dry time?  This is my first smith paints i have purchased and i use 90% auto air now for painting.

I really like the Smith wildlife paint, however the blue/green flip flop is not my favorite. Perhaps my base colors haven't been dark enough but I've never seen the two colors. Their iridescent paints are awesome.

I agree.  I love their irridescent violet.  I do a sparkle white belly, metalic silver sides, and black back, and then overspray the shoulders with the irridescent violet.  It looks really neat, especially in the water.

I'm still trying to get the blue/green to work, too.

I don't worry about mix and match when it comes to water based paints.  I just make sure to heat set between coats and colors.

thanks guys. I painted up some with it last nite and tried it over AA sealer white and dark and i can see uses for both. It seems to be more of a heavy pearl to me than a true "flip flop" like i was looking for but i think it will make for a great under scale color over sealer dark as well as being a nice shader/tinter. I am waiting on some more new AA paints to arrive today from coast airbrush and can play with them some tonite and tomorow and then hopefully clear coat some this weekend to see how they all look under clear coat.

This was my first experience with smith wildlife paints but so far i like them overall and will look for more colors probably to use. I tried the purple/white and blue/white and really like the way it sprayed and went on. The green/white i ordered was bad it seemed out of the bottle. It was super thick and when i looked into the bottle it was only half full so im thinking it was either mixed wrong and had no thinner or the thinner evaproated out. I called mckenzie today about it and got the issue resolved in well under 5 min. I am very happy with them and will definitly be using them again.

after playing with them some more i found out i love the results i got when i painted a scaled patern over a white base using multiple coats to get better color depth and then i came back over it with some auto air candy pigments in the same color as the flip flop and after clear coat the effect on the scales really popped out in a ghost effect. i dont know that i will use them as an every day paint but in combo with a candy type paint over it i really like the effect it has on the scale pattern and how it comes and goes and changes with the angle and light.