pizz

Observation Rant..

I don't think many have any issues with sharing information at all.  Bouncing ideas is great way to make progress.  My issue has always been those that proceed to ask a question (which is fine and needed) but are completely rude, know it all types, that have a sense of entitlement. At times it is just misinterpretation of the intent but that seems to get cleared pretty quick and brushed off.   Others just....well they can't have many friends.... :lolhuh:    

If someone asks something that makes me have to rethink the way I am doing or would do something that is a win in my book.   

When i first starting pouring soft plastics, I read every single post in every thread. I also used the search feature quite a bit because i have a short memory. Jim O'Conner (Ghostbaits) sent me a frog to try out before I spent the money for the mold. He took me under his wing and helped me get started by answering all the questions I was to embarrassed to ask on the forum. Thanks, Jim as I still have my largest frog fish to date and 2nd PB on one that you sent me!

When I found out I had to stop pouring, I read every thread and every post in the wire baits section and used the search feature for the same above reason. Ted Chodor (cadman) took me under his wing and answered all the same type of questions I was too embarrassed to ask on the forum! He sent me jigs to look at and different types of skirts to try out as well as teaching me the "tap" method. He answered every question in such detail, it totally blew me away! Thanks, Ted!

When I decided to try my hand at painting, I did the dame thing and read every post of every thread in the hard baits section. i did ask some questions about alternate methods to using an airbrush because i wasn't sure if I'd be able to use one because of having Emphysema. I got some good answers to compressor questions that have been beat to death, a great deal on paints from Pizz and again was taken under the wing by another master of his art Dean Mclain and answered all of the questions i was to embarrassed to ask once again......like why water would shoot out of my airbrush but not paint?

I try and give back when i can....I know I am forgetting allot of people who are no longer active or as active for different reasons, but I owe allot to Bojon for his horizontal dipping video, Alsworms, Crawchuck and his tutorials and the list goes on my my memory doesn't. i won't thank anybody who is still active........heck I'll that every body....that covers my butt! I try and pass on what I've learned and I alo suggest using the search feature. I try and say it in a way that I don't come off like and a....hole. Sometime I can and sometimes i can't.

Too sum it up , i think it was best said  by Vodkaman....

"Not essential, but I do wish people would say thank you more. There have been times when I have put many hours into an answer and not even received acknowledgement that the information was even received, let alone appreciated".

A simple thank you and/or acknowledgement really does go along way and I believe many masters of this trade have left because of this very reason. JMO

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it!

• Like 1

I joined TU to glean the information from the others before me. When I built my first bait it actually worked, it dove when cranked and had a great wobble; I thought I had the lure building under control. After that the next 12 to 20 didn't work for a s*$t and didn't know why. Deep diver, please that was never going to happen, everyone had the dreaded death roll problem. So I continued with this site to find answers but really didn't have the correct questions in mind. All questions seemed to be so silly I would have been ran rough shod out of town, so I kept my mouth shut. It seemed like a physics class when some were talking "hydrodynamics", huh, what's  that, oh, water pressure on the diving bill has to be relative to the force, ah, ok........where are we going now? All I want is a bait that dives deep when cranked to it's optimum depth.......well that is another story all together. So to those who have spent the time working out the kinks, I thank you, Dave, Ben, BobP, Nova, Skeeter, Mark and the list goes on. Oh by the way, I did look up "hydrodynamics", it is still physics isn't it?

Jerry

I'm totally new in this forum however anything but new to forum use.

I'm looking forward to contributing and perhaps learning.

I'm amazed by the depth of knowledge here and not even a little surprised by the back biting and pontificating, it happens in all these forums. I'll ignore that stuff and enjoy the higher quality content.

Thanks.

Oh ya;

B) Text....has to be the poorest way to get subtle inference or intent across. Most  :argue:  in web forums are related to misreading the subtle  ;)  and  :P  that occurr in regular conversation. The rest tends to be over active ego :nuhuh::boo:

Vodkaman,

I have read many of your posts and tutorials, some I understood, many I didn't. Way too technical for me. I do thank you for all the assistance you have tried to give us though. I started making lures in the 50s, way before computers, and I let the bass tell me whether they were any good, or not. For the most part that is still my measuring stick. Meanwhile the pond is froze over so I am reading up and will put some of it to good use later in the basement shop. Thanks again.

Tony

I try to answer questions and give solutions to problems when I have what I think is good information.  Yes, I feel some "question fatigue" on topics that have been covered many many times.  When I feel curmudgeony about that, I don't have to do a thing.  Ignore it and someone else will answer it.  TU is a diverse community - commercial custom builders, hobby builders, guys with decades of experience, newbies, you-name-it.  Don't expect everyone to share your interests, knowledge level, or your attitude toward building lures.

Personally, I enjoy a little dust-up once in awhile.  Adds spice!  Provides sharper contrast between ideas!  But it has to be between builders who have similar levels of knowledge and experience, or else it's not fair.

• Like 2

This thread has been driving me crazy for days!This site is for sharing and learning.

If you have nothing positive to add please stay away.yes there is a learning curve

and yes you can learn from your mistakes.I made my first bait in 1980.So I payed my dues.

If I can help anybody on this site i will.If not I just go to the next thread.

This thread has been driving me crazy for days!This site is for sharing and learning.

If you have nothing positive to add please stay away.yes there is a learning curve

and yes you can learn from your mistakes.I made my first bait in 1980.So I payed my dues.

If I can help anybody on this site i will.If not I just go to the next thread.

27 posts since April of 2011? You got chutzpah telling people what this site is about and what to do!

Thanks TU!!!

I stopped making plugs for a long time, and when I got back into it again, TU was a wealth of info that helped me tremendously. I avoided a lot of "mistakes" that I had forgotten about in the past.

This is THE site to be a member. And, for the most part, remains a friendly and respectful place to share and learn.

I really appreciate the effort that the builders make to respond to anyone who asks.

You've been making baits for over 30 years and a member of this site for almost 2 years. I don't see where you are sharing anything with anybody. I doesn't matter if the bait works or not. There is valuable information in both success and failures. It has nothing to do with skill level but the learning process of a common interest. Skill level and/or experience has nothing to do with it. It's about sharing information on what you have done.

I know Pizz, the builder who started this thread, and he's very generous with his knowledge, one on one.

I'm guessing he just gets frustrated and vents, just like the rest of us, from time to time.  And we are the lure building family he feels safe to unload his frustrations on.  

It's kind of a compliment to all of us that he feels he can say what's on his mind here.

And it gave us all a chance to chime in.

At the risk of being a party pooper, I think enough is enough.

It's  probably time to let this thread die.

I know Pizz, the builder who started this thread, and he's very generous with his knowledge, one on one.

I'm guessing he just gets frustrated and vents, just like the rest of us, from time to time.  And we are the lure building family he feels safe to unload his frustrations on.  

It's kind of a compliment to all of us that he feels he can say what's on his mind here.

And it gave us all a chance to chime in.

At the risk of being a party pooper, I think enough is enough.

It's  probably time to let this thread die.

Gosh darn it Mark, and I was all prepared with a carefully researched 5 page rant to add.  Oh, well.