mark poulson

Dipping Solarez

I just got my solarez hi gloss from Fedex yesterday.

I'm planning on coating some baits today.

I've read here that many brush it on, but has anyone had any luck dipping it?

The container says it's thin enough to spray or dip, but I'm wondering how I would remove the last dried drip off the tail hook hanger if I dipped a lure and hung it to "drip dry" before I put it under the UV lights.

Are there some things I should or shouldn't do if I dip?

And how many coats should I plan to use?

Edited by mark poulson

I just received mine yesterday, unfortunately the uv light won't arrive until tomorrow. It's 10 degrees here in Nebraska and I tried letting a test lure dry in the sun but it didn't work, it was really cloudy. I am going to try dipping also, my plan is to dip it, put it on the spinner for a few minutes, dab eye holes with a napkin or brush, then stick it under nail dryer. I will let you know how it goes! Rob

Mark,

I've only used my Solarez once. That was right after I got. I was anxious to know how well it worked. So, I dipped my first bait. It didn't turn out well. There was a drip down my painting wand (not a big issue as I just cut it off) and there was ripples in finish that did not level out. I sanded the finish and dipped it a second time. Still didn't do any better. BTW, I let it cure in the sun, too. IMHO, I don't think it's dippable. However, with that said, I've only tried it the one time. Experimentation could prove me wrong.

Gene

Here is my theory...I haven't had time to try it yet...Now the techs. say you thin Solrez by heating it( it can be reheated over and over without hurting it)and the reccomened throwing it in a micro blaster for a few seconds...I was thinking I would pour some in a dipping jar then put the jar in a hot water bath to thin and keep warm...dip the baits..let drip... spin them for a couple minutes then zap them with a light for approx. 1 minute so it is tacky re-dip, let drip spin and finish under the light.I figure it will take at least two coats.

Now A-Mac says he just dips in un - thinned Solrez hangs and lets drip for several minutes before curing...he said that one coat is enough...I think the dripping time makes a difference...Nathan

Thanks for the info. and advice.

I think I'll try it once, and see how it goes. I'll probably dip right into the container, and drip back into it, too, for a little bit. Then I'll hang it over my drip dry paper towel.

I think I'll just do it in my garage with the lights off. It's cloudy and overcast here right now.

Once it's stopped dripping, I'll put it into the UV nail light box for 30 second intervals, like was suggested in the original solarez thread , and see how it works.

The worst case scenario is I screw up...been there, done that. In fact, I'm pretty good at that now. Hahaha

Nathan,

Thread hijack.

What does the "0 warning points" mean?

Edited by mark poulson

I got some a while back but haven't tried dipping yet.  It seems thick, but since it doesn't cure until

UV exposure you "could" let it drip for a while.  The heating also may work.  The only thing I'd worry

about if let to drip for any length of time without curing is that it may react with the paint underneath. 

I notice a pretty strong smell from it (styrene?) and wonder if something in it might act as a solvent.

It works well for me as a patch / sealer for modified hard plastic baits so far and I'm setting it with

a nail polish curing light.

Here's the rest of my post:

Bass100, you are a god!!!   :worship:  :worship:  :worship:

I dipped four baits yesterday, three new ones and one recoat.  Frankly, I was amazed at how easy it was, how fast it was, and how nicely they came out!!!

All four baits are smooth, with a very glossy surface, and there is no loss of color quality or metalic sheen in any of them.

Here's how I figured out to do it.

I dipped the bait right into the black plastic jar that the solarez came in, holding it over the jar until the drip had slowed down to occasional.  It only took about 30 seconds.  Then I hung it over a paper towel to finish dripping. 

When it looked like it had stopped dripping, I held it by the bill and pinched the bottom hook hanger with the paper towel to remove the last glob that had formed down there but not dripped off.  I hung it again for another 30 seconds, and checked for any more drip accumulation.  I pinched that off, too, and then suspended the bait by a paper clip hanger into the chamber of my nail light, which I had set face up over my open bench vice, so I could still get to the switches on the bottom.

I turned on the nail light, and, after 30 seconds I lifted the bait out, turned it 180 degrees, and put it right back into the light chamber.

I repeated that for three minutes, and then let it sit another minute on each side.

It came out perfect.

I learned about pinching off the material at the bottom the hard way.  My first two baits still had a drip on them when I cured them, and the resin is really hard to remove after it's set if it's a glob.  I chipped one removing it, but just put a dab of new resin on the chip, suspended it upside down in the light again, and it came out fine.

I added a shad dot with a solvent based sharpie to the recoated bait before I dipped it, and it ran badly, so the solvent in the resin does affect sharpies, but no problem with the water-based air brush paints at all.

If I were using solvent-based paints, I'd probably have to find a barrier coating to spray over them before I dipped, but I don't use anything but water-based paints and sharpies.  I'll spray some clear Createx over the sharpie next time and see if that provided enough protection.

I am all about cutting time off the building process, so I can fish my baits, and this system looks to be the final piece to my PVC/epoxy/superglue system.

I'll fish them tomorrow, to see how they hold up, but so far, solarez is amazing.

My next child will be named Bass100.   :worship:  :worship:  :worship:

P.S.  I don't know why this thread is now so wide.

I have never used solarez but i would imagine it might help speed the dipping/dripping process with a quick hit with the heat gun/hair dryer to the bait after dipping but then again it to long or hot might cause it to bubble

Sounds like I need to take this stuff for a test drive.

THANKS!!! for sharing the info on this new clear coat system

I dipped a lure that I had coated with a nail polish, and there was no problem.  The mylar strips in the polish still flash really brightly.

I found that, in my 50+ degree garage, I didn't need to thin the solarez to dip it.  It looks to me like I got good coverage and a thick enough coat with one dipping, so I'm not going to even fool around with heating it.

I'm still amazed at being able to dip and completely cure a bait in less than 5 minutes, with a perfectly clear, hard, smooth, glossy surface!

There's got to be a catch.  This stuff seems too good to be true.

Maybe the bait will explode when it hits the water, or when a fish hits it, but, for now, I'm in love!!!

I do think I need to come up with an eye shield for the UV light.  Any suggestions?