mark poulson

Dipping Solarez

Thanks for the compliment Mark.

I have found that it is alot easier if you buy some mason jars at Walmart and transfer your Solarez to them. Get the wide mouth jars and throw away the metal lids that come with them and buy the plastic lids for them. The mason jars are alot easier to dip into and stick your paint brush in. You just can't see in the jug that Solarez puts their product in. I put black electricians tape on the outside of the jar to keep any light out.

Also, here is the cheapest place I have found for camel hair paint brushes  http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/abs/abs51-i-3/8.htm  When you get these brushes take a pair of pliers and pinch the metal onto the hair a bit tighter and the hair will stay in the brush.  The best brushes for applying any top coat.  I clean these bushes with acetone and have no problems. 

I don't cover the bill.  I just hold it by the bill, and don't let the solarez get too far up on the bill.

I will give sunglasses a try.  Thanks.

Mark,

I assume you hold the lure horizontal then with the bill up when you dip it?  I make bigger lures 6" and up.  I will need to find something to put the solarez in that is big enough for my lures.

CLM

CLM,

I hold the bait by the bill, and dip vertically.  I can see the top of the bait, where the bill attaches, and dip until the top of the bait is submerged.

I'm going to have to buy some more to keep the level up high enough to see, or use a different container, once the level drops.

If I were going to dip a 6" bait, I'd probably use a tall, thin salsa jar, with the sides blacked out to keep the UV light out.

Mark

I know the reason for blacking out the jar...but if solarez is not in the sun light or a uva source it shouldn't start to cure....a plain light bulb or a plain fluorescent light shouldn't start the cure....at least that's my thought.....i'm i right or wrong?????

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mark poulson" data-cid="195797" data-time="1357588189"><p>

CLM,<br />

I hold the bait by the bill, and dip vertically. I can see the top of the bait, where the bill attaches, and dip until the top of the bait is submerged.<br />

I'm going to have to buy some more to keep the level up high enough to see, or use a different container, once the level drops.<br />

If I were going to dip a 6" bait, I'd probably use a tall, thin salsa jar, with the sides blacked out to keep the UV light out.<br />

Mark</p></blockquote>

Mike,

I use the nail drying UV light, with four bulbs in a semicircular arrangement, and a flat, removable bottom panel.  It's the same one AMac posted earlier in this thread, or in the other solarez thread.

I turn the light so the opening faces up, and I hang the cranks down into the light chamber with paper clip wire hangers shaped like V's with flat feet at the ends.

As for sagging, I hang the bait over a paper towel and let it quit dripping.  Then I pinch off the drip at the bottom with a paper towel, hang it again for another five minutes, pinch it off again, and then put it into the UV light well.  I lift it out and rotate it every 30 seconds, for three minutes, and then leave it for a full minute, and it's done.

The baits come out smooth, hard, and glossy.

I am able to do three baits at a time with the nail light.