Mad Moose Baits

Mcu Problem, Not Coating Uniformally

OK, today I airbrushed a lure. I haven't had a chance to buy the nice Createx colors yet, I have been using acrylics thinned with water and a bit of Pledge floor shine (according to a few people it makes the paint harder when dried). Well I dipped the bait into the urethane and immediately it shied away from parts of the bait. The bait had not been handled. Just imagine pouring water on a car where parts of it had some wax and others didn't.

Any ideas?

The floor shine?

I am going to try again with a balsa blank (previous was a plastic crank) and go with acrylic thinned only with water, and another blank just to see if this is just a problem inherent with the product. In the mean time I would love some input! 

Thanks in advance!

I would imagine it is the Pledge floor shine.  No reason to add that product to the paint in my opinion.

Windex is used by some for the benefits of alcohol and some claim the "soap" agent helps adhesion and makes it spray smoother but I was never impressed with the outcome and on some of the cheaper acrylics (pearls) it caused some particles to gum.  They are all composed of too many components: you have fragrances, "soap", propriatary agents (what ever that is), acids, stabilizers, etc..  

I don't want to add anything that may actually compromise the clear coat, I have cranks I painted using windex and really didn't think it had many added benefits+ but am far from good when it comes to an airbrush. 

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

I used Pledge in a couple of airbrush colors but stopped because it tended to harden inside the packing of the barrel and cause the needle to stick hard between sessions, plus it caused a few of the brands of paint I use to separate and form a hard deposit in the bottom of the jar.  I didn't use it as recommended in the You Tube video, i.e., mixing it just before use in a separate container with the paint.  So lesson learned - but if it's something you have to do before every paint shot, that's not what I had in mind.  It did make the paint shoot smoother but I don't do enough detail painting with an airbrush to warrant the extra trouble and I don't think paint is so expensive that I want to extend it.  I didn't have the same problem with DN shedding from areas on the crankbait though.  Thanks for the report.

I personally dip all my lures in Pledge future floor shine and let it dry for a day before I dip in my Garco MCU. I've never had an issue with that process. Although I've never mixed pledge into my paints and sprayed thru my brush. I only use createx reducer for that. I am thinking about giving DN S81 a shot after this can of garco is gone though.