CedarLakeMusky

Solarez As A Seal Coat

3 posts in this topic

I am definitely liking Solarez as a seal coat.  I brush a quick coat on and let it soak into the wood then rebrush with another coat.  Then I put under the light for 3-4 minutes to cure.  I sand lightly and it is ready for paint.  I was using etex or d2t but had to wait about 8 hours to sand lightly and paint.  Still not sure about Solarez as a top coat.  I have coated a couple of lures and I'm not to sure about the finish.  I am having some leveling issues.  Etex seems to self-level better.  Also I get a glossier finish with etex.  I would use Solarez for myself if I wanted to fish a lure quicker.  Still have to see how it holds up to musky and pike teeth though.  Hard water in MN so I will have to wait till summer.  As of now if I were to sell my lures I would use etex as a top coat.  I feel you get that more store bought look with etex then you do with solarez.  I will still keep trying solarez as a top coat in the future to see if I can get a better finish.

CLM

Mark has said he is getting a nice clear and level coat using the Solarez. I'm just wondering if the weather conditions are a factor since he's using it in California and your in Minnesota? I have no doubt your using it inside, but maybe humidity or something else is causing the difference?

Ben

I also dipped my lures, instead of brushing them.  I think I may get a thicker coat by dipping.  That might account for the clear, glossy finish I get.

Or maybe I'm just a genieass.  Hahaha