Diesel Fitter

Bending Jig Or Table For Through Wire Crankbait, Ideas?

Gentlemen, and Ladies, I am interested in trying to make my own crankbaits from balsa wood, I believe that I have a workable pattern and I need some help witha method for making the wire harness for the hook hangers and the line tie. I want to make this out a single brass wire that goes through the entire lure.   Should I make my own bender out of wood and nails or consider something else. If I make 25 to 35 baits a year that would probably be alot. i started out airbrushing KO plastic lures about a year ago and found that this is a really addictive hobby. Thanks in advance!

Dave

A board with nails will easily do it.  I make mine from just a piece of poplar and then finishing nails.  I drive the nails almost thru and then clip the heads so it is easy to slide the wire back off.  Mine has lasted for years and has several different crank versions on it.

I made a master from 1/4" plexiglas with tension pins where the eyes need to be. I cut the 2 halves of the body including the lip slot out of the same area of the balsa blank, so that the wood density is close. I  then place one half of the body inside the pins, then bend the wire, I use 18 gauge copper, around the pins starting somewhere in the middle of the bait. Pinch the wire closed inside each pin and don't forget to allow for the lip. When I get done I let the wire overlap about 1/2" or so and solder the overlap together. Add plenty of glue, position your ballast, place the other half of the bait on top, and clamp till the glue sets. If your buddies find out you are making your own you will be making way more than 25 or 30 baits. I'm sure others do it differently. Good Luck.

Tony

I think as long as you use something hard for a base. Example hard wood, thick leaxan. I use hardwood flooring as the surface is slick. Like Tony... i use 18 guage copper mainly. A lot easier to bend and for most bass baits it is pleanty strong. If you make a good " mouse trap " your buddies will see to it you make more then 30 a year. ;-)