RayburnGuy

Strike King 10xd

Thanks guys. Was just wondering about the size, shape, action, or what they might have changed, to get the 10XD down as deep as they claim. And to see if their 25' depth claim was a reality or if they had exaggerated it. May have to buy one to "inspect" it. Thanks for looking.

Ben

6 inches long, 1.92 oz weight, $15

Personally, not something I would like to be throwing all day long!  They're available for January pre-order at Tacklewarehouse.com

Wow! That's a pretty good sized crank. Is that the total length or is that just the length of the body?

thanks Bob,

Ben

Ben hear is some info...and this was the show i was watching... the last day stringer was 32 pounds

The Strike King 10XD Crankbaits are currently available for pre-order - and expected to arrive in January.*

*Arrival dates are supplied by the manufacturer and are subject to change.

Phil Marks, one of the head lure designers at Strike King, recently caught some of his key fish with the Strike King 10XD Crankbait to take home the victory and $125,000 at 2012 FLW Tour Open on Sam Rayburn.

A behemoth of a deep diving crank designed for targeting the biggest bass, the Strike King 10XD Crankbait measures in at 6-inches in length and easily hits the 25-foot mark on 14-lb fluorocarbon. It gets you in front of fish that you previously couldn’t reach with a crankbait, and also casts and pulls surprisingly easy for its size. Available in a range of colors, the Strike King 10XD is what you need when money is on the line - and you need that kicker fish.

"The whole deal with the 10XD is that its size, depth capability, and action appeals to big bass. It catches the grade of fish that win tournaments and stories are told about," said Phil Marks. "It is perfect for situations such as what I faced at Rayburn. I knew that there were big bass in the area that I was fishing and I knew that I needed to catch them in order to win. The 10XD will do this for a lot people at a lot different venues in the future."

Strike King Length Weight Diving Depth 10XD Crankbait 6" 1.92oz 25ft Plus

Edited by Brent R

Thanks Brent. I had read that article about the FLW tourney on Rayburn. Those were some pretty impressive weights seeing that Rayburn has been on a downhill slope for several years now. When I was living over there it took over 30 lbs. to even hope of winning. If there were as many as 150 teams fishing and you had 20 lbs you were lucky to even get a check.

Ben

Ben I use to fish the river systems in south Mississippi. Been doing this for 35 years and if you had a 20lb stringer you would win 99.9% of the time. I moved about 2 hours away about a year ago and i really miss fishing the river systems. There are 8 rivers within 1 hour drive from my house when i lived on the coast. Where i live now just a few lakes. One of the lakes was designed by Bill Dance....but its a deep water lake and i like to fish shallow. I have never fished Rayburn but i would really like to.

take care, Brent

Ben,

I saw an ad for the 10xd, with the 6xd below it, and they are identical except for the larger size.

When I was fooling around with making a single hook crank, I made three that dive to 20'+.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/10599-deep-diver-single-hook9/

They cast a mile, but the weigh over an ounce.  I bent the tip of the bills, and they dig right away, like the   

DT Rapalas.

The 6xd was used here to win a spring bassmaster elite tournament last year. You probably remember the 50 ft depth claim longlining by the winner. Line choice is a key factor.  I am here to tell you those depths are easily attainable with the longlining method. With a red clay bottom here, there was no doubt bottom was reached. I was surprised how fast the baits achieved the depth and with less line than I thought would be needed. The 6xd was much  harder to crank than my own version yet I found no difference in reaching bottom or staying there. 

I know of 2 strategies for getting a crankbait down to 20+ feet.  Either you enlarge the whole bait or get creative with the lip.  A 3/4 oz Luhr Jensen Hot Lips Express is documented to dive 22 ft on 10 lb mono with a 100' cast.  The Hot Lips line of baits (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 oz) all share the same lip design.  The Rapala DT20 also uses an innovative lip design.  The 10XD and at least one other bait I've seen (a Bee 24)  go in the other direction and upsize the whole bait.  If I fished tournaments for a living and had to have 5+ lb bass on a lake where lots of them live to make a check, I wouldn't hesitate to "go big" with an 10XD.  But as a recreational angler, I've fished a few deep divers that weigh over 1.5 oz and found them a real drag.  The jury's still out but I suspect the 10XD will be similar in spite of ad copy telling me it "casts and pulls surprisingly easy for its size".

Like several TUers, I've built crankbaits that will dive 20+ without upsizing the whole bait.  It's do-able but it demands lots of attention to lip shape and the overall balance and weight of the bait.  But that's what makes lure building interesting and fun to me.

I used to fish the Hot Lips Express as well as the discontinued Deep Secret. Why Luhr-Jensen discontinued the Deep Secret I'll never understand because it was much, much easier to retrieve than the Hot lips.I could get both of them down to 20' using 20 lb. test Fireline. And I've fished the 6XD as well. I was just wondering what Strike King had done to get that extra 5'. (if it indeed gets that deep) Once you get down to 20' adding another 5' is a pretty big deal in my opinion. I've built a few cranks that get down around the 20' mark using large bills and heavy ballast as well as a streamlined body shape. The mid depth square billed baits I've built lately seem to have a steeper diving angle so I'm currently working on a deeper version with a square bill.

I don't plan on building anything as large as the 10XD. Just wondering if they had come up with a new radical design.

Just finished reading the sales pitch at tackle warehouse for the 10xd. Found their script for why it performs so well at attracting strikes very similar to an article I recently read in Bass. The pro in the Bass article liked to fish the wiggle wart in the spring on banks with grapefruit size rocks (or maybe it was baseballs) whatever it was he said the action the wart had off the rocks was killer for bass and he knew of nothing better.  If you know a wart you know the action. I imagine the xd baits are doing a similar dance off the bottom only at much deeper depths. 

Littleriver, I have this book titled "Precision Casting" by Mark Romanack and Steve Holt that provides graphic dive profiles for most of the commercial crankbaits that were available in 2000 when the book was published.  The authors tested crankbaits and made underwater observations to plot their dive depth along a 100 ft retrieve course.  A couple of things stick out when you look at the 100+ dive profiles they present.  All of the crankbaits reached their maximum dive depth beginning 30 ft from the boat and ending 12 ft from the boat.  That is a very small window of maximum depth on a 100 ft cast.  And the dive curve of all the baits, be they shallow or deep divers, look very similar.  There were no baits that dove to their maximum depth noticeably earlier in the retrieve than any other.  I'm not saying someone hasn't or can't come up with a crankbait that breaks the rule as to how quickly it dives.  Maybe that has happened in the intervening 12 years.  But?

Ben - the book includes the 1/2 oz LJ Deep Secret.  The deepest it ran was 19 ft with 8lb line on a 100 ft cast.  My personal favorite LJ crankbait is the 1/4 oz Baby Hot Lips Express.  Very few (if any) 1/4 oz crankbaits can get down to 13.5 ft with 10 lb line.

That's pretty close to what I was getting with the Deep Secret Bob. I think the 20 lb. Fireline was somewhere around 6 or 8 pound test mono. The ledge I tested the bait on was at 18' on the depth finder mounted on the trolling motor. I figured the transducer was somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2 feet under the surface so that would put the ledge at 19 to 20 feet deep and there would be red clay stuck to the lip of the bait when I got it in.

This was about  20 years ago and that was pretty deep for a crank back then. I never talked to anyone around the lake that was fishing deep cranks during that time period. The hot thing back then was pitching heavy jigs in the hydrilla. There were actually very few people on Rayburn back then that were even fishing cranks. Those were the "good ole days".

Ben, you can get a wood bait to run as deep as the 10xd .   Use a 3 inch round body, slim profile with 1/2oz of ballast split between the chest and belly.   Make your lip shape similar to a willow leaf blade at 3.5 inches long from the nose of the bait.   Fish that big boy on 20/6 braid and you will be digging the bottom at 24 feet.   The bait will be easier on your arms than a DD22.

Ben, you can get a wood bait to run as deep as the 10xd .   Use a 3 inch round body, slim profile with 1/2oz of ballast split between the chest and belly.   Make your lip shape similar to a willow leaf blade at 3.5 inches long from the nose of the bait.   Fish that big boy on 20/6 braid and you will be digging the bottom at 24 feet.   The bait will be easier on your arms than a DD22.

I never would have thought of using that lip shape. That's something I'll definitely have to try.

thanks man,

Ben