Juice780

Primer Paint

With MCU involved, the only "safe" option as far as a primer would be something waterborne...an acrylic or latex product, IMO. When I was using Garco as a clear, the only paint I found that didn't cause friction with the MCU was water-based. Latex primers, however, tend to be not as good as far as adhesion as the others. Proper surface prep is a must. Good luck.

I also use MCU and have had good luck with Polytranspar Superhide White airbrush paint as a color basecoat.  I spray it as the first step in painting versus dipping the lures.  The Superhide is a water based highly pigmented paint that dries quickly to a hard smooth surface.  I've tried a few "cover whites" and the Superhide is by far the best I've used.

• Like 1

The only time I've had wrinkled paint with MCU was when I put lures on a lure turner to dry after dipping them.  Never a wrinkle if I just hang them up to drip/dry.  My conclusion was that the turner prevented excess MCU from dripping off the lure, causing an area somewhere on the body where the MCU collected and remained wet long enough to wrinkle the paint (even though you couldn't see the pool 'cause the MCU skins over so quickly).

The only base coat that I have found that doesn't react with the many topcoats is sprayed enamel.  I use the Ace brand.  Just make sure you get the flat white and not the gloss.  It is $3.99 a can and I can get 2 coats on 45 baits per can and they are ready for paint in 15 minutes.

Update. I bought some stuff at Home Depot called killz primer. It water based and pretty thick stuff. I dipped a few baits then topcoated them. And worked out great. A lot easier to dip than spray 2 coats. Probably best when you are doing a lot of baits at a time.

Cool.  I might have to check that out myself.